• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I just noticed your tips in that picture above look like an Audi symbol. Maybe it's because I recently picked up a S4 though. lol

Good luck on the build.

I just noticed your tips in that picture above look like an Audi symbol. Maybe it's because I recently picked up a S4 though. lol

Good luck on the build.

Thanks Chris. I think with your recent purchase your on the look out for anything Audi :laugh: You must not even look at a package of donuts in the same way... kinda like Homer Simpson.... mmmmm Audi :drool:

Pics and more pics...

Pics and more pics...

Tear down from last night...

overviewvj.jpg

pullingdampner.jpg

frontin.jpg

coveroff.jpg

tdca.jpg

timingcomponents.jpg

timingremoved.jpg

camsremoved.jpg

rearheadremoved.jpg

headsoff.jpg

more to come 10 pic limit

Engine Parts Update

Engine Parts Update

K1 rods are now ordered. Pistons will be purchased through CP Pistons-Carrillo through Wagamon Bros. Will finalize those details sometime early next week. Most likely will be honing out the bore by 0.5mm to clean things up for the new pistons.

Completed Teardown

Completed Teardown

This morning I took the rest of the engine apart.

boltsremoved.jpg

splitblock.jpg

crankexposed.jpg

pistonsrods.jpg

crankremoved.jpg

blockready1.jpg

blockready2m.jpg

Oh yea and to keep my bolts in order for the oil pan and block I made this...

dscf2139p.jpg

ST220 is back from Extrude Hone

ST220 is back from Extrude Hone

UPS driver number 1 dropped this off...

st220back.jpg

tbopening.jpg

runnersb.jpg

runner1w.jpg

runner2h.jpg

st220inside1.jpg

st220inside2.jpg

st220inside3.jpg

That UIM is fuggen clean ...oh it looks dead sexy :drool:

Do the ports look bigger? have you taken measurements before and after?

:nonono:

that clutch doesnt have the larger rivets or completely closed windows. what have i been telling you guys about the clutchnet discs for the last year or longer? the outer disc can be disconnected from the hub just as easy as a spec with those..... less likely to fail than a spec, but still likely.

mike your block looks pretty good i hope it turns out well. has anyone else noticed that his crank has WAY less machining done to it? the 2.5L crank i have from my SVT motor is completely machined on every side of the counterweights (porkchops, if you prefer the simple terms) i assume this would be considered "knife edging" which the 3L crank is not. are all 3L cranks this way?

I got a spair 3l crank from my 02 motor if you want me to tale a pic of it. And is it me or do those pistons look pretty nasty?

they have a little carbon buildup, probably from the engine not being beat on too hard. that's nothing though. my brother bent valves on his cougar 4cyl when his timing belt broke and its a non interference engine. so much carbon buildup on the top of the pistons caused the pistons to hit the valves! lol

:nonono:

that clutch doesnt have the larger rivets or completely closed windows. what have i been telling you guys about the clutchnet discs for the last year or longer? the outer disc can be disconnected from the hub just as easy as a spec with those..... less likely to fail than a spec, but still likely.

Tyler, while I applaud your efforts to make this a improved clutch I respectfully declined your advise and here is why... I talked to great lengths with Oleg at ClutchNet about the disc. He is the engineer that designed it and patented it. Check out his patent on this paticular design here... linky. This guy did his research, obviously.

Basically the SPEC clutch fails because it is relying solely on the drive plates to retain the springs. Oleg's design includes additional retainer plates to maintain spring positioning. Those windows that you were so adamant to close are what allow debris to disburse out of the springs housing. So I wouldn't be supprised if your clutch fails earlier then ours because of increase wear. Also the rivets that you asked to increase the size on... well while a larger rivet provides an increase shear capacity to the joint, they also require a larger edge distance, typically 1.5 times the diameter. I'm guessing they did not offset the rivet placement from their typically assembly so you have the same edge distance for the smaller rivets, which may result in early failure as well.

Bottom-line... I would have faith in the design that Oleg, the engineer, put in place when they went to production. I have 100% confidence it the product I received. They took the time and money to do it right the first time. Below are snapshots of the images with in their patent. The additional retainer plate is item #28 and #30 in figure 4.

clutchnet1.png

clutchnet2.png

lol mike you are incorrect sir. i wish i still had pics of my disc. no debris will get in or out of my spring windows, because they are closed and have been since day 1. you guys get whatever stuff you want, i'll keep hammerin on mine and smiling :)

lol mike you are incorrect sir. i wish i still had pics of my disc. no debris will get in or out of my spring windows, because they are closed and have been since day 1. you guys get whatever stuff you want, i'll keep hammerin on mine and smiling :)

Whens the last time you looked at your disc Tyler. Look at it from the side, debris can get in there. I'm pretty sure Oleg knows what he's talking about you are saying he is incorrect, not me. Being he makes his living in the business of designing and selling clutches I'm gonna go out on a limb and say he knows what he is talking about :help:

I'll put up a pic when I get back to my house to show you, since obviously your disc is installed prohibiting you of seeing the issue...

seeing as clutchnet is the company that suggested i do this i would say they do know what they are talking about, your right. GOD im' so sick of this site i forget you guys know EVERYTHING its not like i had a clutchnet disc i dunno A YEAR before you or anything guys. DO WHATEVER YOU WANT I FORGOT YOU GUYS KNOW AND HAVE DONE EVERYTHING!

Sounds like you need some...
manpons.jpg

If what Mike is saying is coming straight from the horse's mouth or in this case, the guy who designed and built the clutch, then I'd be inclined to believe it.

for the 19th time...... when the people that built my clutch at clutchnet suggested the upgraded design, that would be considered coming from "the horses mouth"

and for the 10th time, i've had a clutchnet disc before all of you started ranting and raving about it. i already have about 25k on mine i think i know what i have and that it's good.

Back