• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Hey, just to save you some trouble.......

Like i said before, ditch the accel coil, the MSD box and also the Stealth pumps. Use a Bosch 044 fuel pump which will run it fine and right like an OEM setup.... Dont ask why just do it............... the MSD is prone to failure and yields no benefit. The Accel coils are made in china. the 044 is a proven warrior that supports a hell of a lot more fuel that yu can burn. Ever seen a 911 Turbo?

Hey, just to save you some trouble.......

Like i said before, ditch the accel coil, the MSD box and also the Stealth pumps. Use a Bosch 044 fuel pump which will run it fine and right like an OEM setup.... Dont ask why just do it............... the MSD is prone to failure and yields no benefit. The Accel coils are made in china. the 044 is a proven warrior that supports a hell of a lot more fuel that yu can burn. Ever seen a 911 Turbo?

:nonono: I cringe any time I see someone write 'just do it', or even better, 'Don't ask'.

Your accel coil argument is just as good as Ford is better then Chevy, or my dad can beat up your dad. I've used Accel coils in the past and have had good luck with them as have many people that I am friends with. I have no reason to believe this coil will be any different.

MSD systems have proven themselves time and time again, much of what I said above still applies to this argument as well. I saw what this unit was capable of on TRicker's car... and that is why I bought it from him when he decided to sell it.

As for the Bosch 044 fuel pump, yes it is a well known pump and it has proven itself well. However that said Aeromotive has proven themselves as well and grant it this is a newer pump for them it still has been out for a while and I've read good things about it, as well as some bad things. However I feel that I'm gaining some additional flow with Aeromotive's Stealth pump and after talking with their Tech's I feel confident that it will meet my needs.

All and all thanks for your concerns, but frankly you don't have any substance to back up your claims. So unless you have personal experience with something to show me other then 'don't ask just do it' I'm going to continue down this path.

So why do so many equate lack of quality with made in china?

So why do so many equate lack of quality with made in china?

Why do some assume that if something is made in China it is of inferior quality? What determines the quality of a product is the company that sells it. If a US based compay has something made in China, they specify the product, and if a decent company, audit and verify that the quality expectations are being met.

What you should be saying is, some companies manufacture their products in China and are only interested in pricing and not customer service therefore their products are unacceptable.

Quality is a very difficult thing to measure, but it is basically this. "Does it meet my needs and expectations?" If so then it is a quality product. Much like I find that 98 cent a quart oil for my car meets my needs and expectations.

please lets not muddle this up with pages upon pages of Chinese quality control, your flame baiting here.

csvt, I did have a serious question and do not recall it being discussed. oil pumps, I could have sworn I've seen conversation that there are upgrade options (and the early kinetics motors had them). Is this anything you've looked into? Only bring it up because I was trying to visualize the extra demands the oil squirters may put on the system.

could always ask what the nobels are using for an oil pump. iirc they have the oil squirters also. It has been said before the the 3L duratec oil pump from an engine with VVT would be an upgrade also, iirc.

please lets not muddle this up with pages upon pages of Chinese quality control, your flame baiting here.

csvt, I did have a serious question and do not recall it being discussed. oil pumps, I could have sworn I've seen conversation that there are upgrade options (and the early kinetics motors had them). Is this anything you've looked into? Only bring it up because I was trying to visualize the extra demands the oil squirters may put on the system.

could always ask what the nobels are using for an oil pump. iirc they have the oil squirters also. It has been said before the the 3L duratec oil pump from an engine with VVT would be an upgrade also, iirc.

I'm on the Noble forums and I asked that exact question very early on in my build. They are all running the factory Ford 3L Duratec oil pump and are not having issues. There are no upgraded oil pumps available. What some have done (the pure track Nobles anyway) is install a dry sump setup. There is a company that builds them for the Jaguar 3L, which can be successfully installed, with some work, on the Ford 3L. There are some modifications that need to be made and the ground clearance becomes an issue. Brapple I have seen mention of the newer VVT oil pumps providing more flow, but I do believe there was some fitment issues. However that is going off pure memory from what I read long ago and could be wrong. Although I am positive there was an issue with it.

Well ladies and gents if all goes well in 12hrs my car's chassis will be HOK TruBlue ;) Pictures will come this afternoon if I have something worth while to share... which I will of course :laugh:

Alright after slaving away all day and sweating off about 10lbs in water weight my brother and I successfully painted the chassis. She's TruBlue and looking fine. 3 coats of base, and 4 coats of clear. The last coat of clear is more or less a sacrificial coat as we will be sanding/polishing it off. Such is life when you paint your car in the garage. Actually that said it really turned out damn good. I mean this quality of a job would have cost me $5000-8000 easy. I will have less then $2000 into it... and yes that is paying my brother for his time and expertise so labor was not free. All and all I am very happy with it. While I had the car stripped down to pretty much nothing we didn't paint the cabine (obviously) and we didn't really put to much paint in the cowl, trunk, and back areas of the engine bay just because they will not be seen by anyone being they will have a bunch of components covering it up. More or less the same quality of paint work from the factory. Although I will have a clear coat in my engine bay.

That said here are the pics as promised...

Master at work sporting the bandana to keep back the sweat. He's using all my spray equipment (one day I will learn to be as good as he is, although he did go to school for it ;))
masteratwork1.jpg

Base coat layers...
finalcoat1.jpg

finalcoat2.jpg

finalcoat3.jpg

finalcoat4.jpg

Final coat of clear (still a bit of fog in the air when I took the first shot)...
finalclear1.jpg

finalclear2.jpg

finalclear3.jpg

We painted the trunk as well, but I'm not going to waste my HOK clear covering it. I plan to just buy a cheap Duplicolor clear in a rattle can to top that off since it's not really a focal point. However here it is with base and what every was left in the gun for clear coat when we where finished.
finalclear8.jpg

looking good! I notice the roof line was taped off. Is there a two tone skeem or did i miss that mentioned somewhere?

Back