• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

And they gave me a pretty sweet polo shirt...

Logo on the front left

shirt1r.jpg

Then this is on the edge of the left sleeve
shirt2t.jpg

UPS guy finally flippin came... 6:31pm delivery, was supposed to be here between 10:30am-5pm so I ended up having to stay home while the wife went out without me.

Anyway on with the pics!

boxo.jpg

packagingo.jpg

hub1e.jpg

hub3.jpg

studs1.jpg

stud2.jpg

axles1.jpg

axles2.jpg

axles3.jpg

axles4.jpg

THOSE ARE AMAZING

also, isnt that the old clip that's a bastard to get in and out on there?

yeah, ford changed it, the one I got when I gave them the part number is different. it snaps in and out by prying on the axel and you dont have to knock it out from the other side of the diff with a drift...

yeah, ford changed it, the one I got when I gave them the part number is different. it snaps in and out by prying on the axel and you dont have to knock it out from the other side of the diff with a drift...

To my knowledge all of the circlips that are used on the Contour/Cougar axles pop out of their grooves when the axle is pulled correctly, releasing it from the differential. That is why they have round edges. Only in rear wheel drive cars where you have to remove the pumkin cover have I seen the need to remove the clips manually.

no, I'm saying the new clip you'll get from ford if you bring in the part number is a different clip. it's black/grey instead of chrome and it sits a little more flush. every axel with those big chrom clips on them I've had to pull the jack shaft out and punch the axel out from the other side with a drift...

the new clip I just put a flat pry bar (nail puller) between the tripod joint and the trans case, wedge it in there so it stays, and give it a good kick.

Thats my experience, but I seem to remember terry saying something similar as well...

... i don't see the intermediate shaft. Do you use the stock one ? .. wouldn't that be a weak link ?.

I ask because i've seen photo's of the thin part of the driveshafts splintered. ... G.

... i don't see the intermediate shaft. Do you use the stock one ? .. wouldn't that be a weak link ?.

I ask because i've seen photo's of the thin part of the driveshafts splintered. ... G.

i was thinking the same thing.

i was thinking the same thing.

Yes you use the stock one. DSS analyzed the intermediate shaft and found it to be made of a material which closely matches that properties of chromoly steel. The intermediate shaft is more then capable of supporting 600hp based on there study. This was mentioned in the GB thread as well.

Yes you use the stock one. DSS analyzed the intermediate shaft and found it to be made of a material which closely matches that properties of chromoly steel. The intermediate shaft is more then capable of supporting 600hp based on there study. This was mentioned in the GB thread as well.
you mean this ?

"We chose to use the Factory inner CV's on this kit as after Quantitive analysis we found the inner to be a material close to a 4140 chromoly with a hint of Vanadium. We have used this type of end before with outstanding results after a special Temper and re-heat treat. "

considering the monster you're building, maybe getting hold of one of their prepped shafts would be good. Can't wait to see this run. ....G.

where is the like button???

also, since you had custom hubs made up, how much did just the hubs cost? I'm wondering about lug pattern changes...

It's called progress...

It's called progress...

Let the fun begin...

Taping off everything...
taped1.jpg

taped2.jpg

taped3.jpg

taped4.jpg

taped5.jpg

A little touch up...

touchup1.jpg

touchup2.jpg

The booth...
booth1.jpg

Spraying it up (brother hard at work)...

spray1.jpg

spray2u.jpg

The car in sealer...
sealer1.jpg

sealer2.jpg

sealer3.jpg

sealer4.jpg

sealer5.jpg

sealer6.jpg

sealer7.jpg

Only bummer now is I won't get a chance to actually put paint on it until probably The first week of July. CarCraft is sneaking up to fast on me...

Kaos, try not to quote all the pics again :nonono:.

Mike, good to see some progress on the paint :D.

OMFG........I just came all over your car but you can't tell right now because it's white. lol

100 freakin pages and no vroom pssshhh yet. I'm getting antsy here! I can't wait!

OMFG........I just came all over your car but you can't tell right now because it's white. lol

100 freakin pages and no vroom pssshhh yet. I'm getting antsy here! I can't wait!

YOUR getting antsy?? Cry me a river :laugh:... I've been playing around with this thing in pieces for over a year now trying to get all of the right parts in order :lol:

On another note you need to change your viewing settings, I'm only seeing 25 pages.... and on yet another note... this is post number 1000 in this thread HAHA!

So then you are a few more sprays away from "START PUTTING ALL THESE SEXY PARTS TOGETHER!!!" right?

You bet. I was hoping to get the car with some paint on it, but alas... found some additional prep work that was needed and we ran out of time. I really wanted to at least get the engine bay complete so I could start assembling the powertrain and get it running. However before that can happen I need to finalize the fuel system. I think I am just going to drop the tank and replace everything.

New tank
New tank straps
New lines with AN fittings, -8 supply, -6 return
Dual Aeromotive 340 Stealth pumps (second one to kick in when the IMRC would normally turn on)
1000cc fuel injectors

Back