• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I noticed how you're concerned about the sound of your exhaust...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a turbo will definitely change the sound of the exhaust, and quiet it down a bunch. BrApple's car is so much quieter than it used to be.

The 3" pipe definitely sits pretty low as it curves around the gas tank so 3.5" may have some ground clearance issues.

Yeah getting 3" to wrap around that gas tank was pretty tricky, I honestly don't think 3.5" would even work around that part.

I noticed how you're concerned about the sound of your exhaust...I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but a turbo will definitely change the sound of the exhaust, and quiet it down a bunch. BrApple's car is so much quieter than it used to be.

this is true but I have the trubendz borla with resonators and 2.5" piping. I should upgrade to 3" and if I got another trubendz kit that would drop the resonators.

Did you ever measure the volume of the escape intake manifold?

Not yet. I'm going to be tearing down the motor tomorrow afternoon in preparation to bring the block, crank, rods, and pistons to Wagemon Brothers Friday. As I am doing this I will fill up the Escape manifold and post volume results.

This company so far has impressed me. My friend at work recommended them as they have built race engines for him in the past. They do lots of work with Nascar and such. So Friday I'm bringing in the block and they are going to measure out the cylinders and determine what they need to do for honing. They quoted me on the phone $220 to balance the rotating assembly and $160 to hone out the block. Not a bad deal if you ask me. Looks like I'll have less then $2k in this engine when everything is said and done... well maybe I guess that's not including the head work... this will be an interesting tally.

i own all of your faces in exhaust loudness/annoyingness (is that a word?) so your all skrewd. BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!

i own all of your faces in exhaust loudness/annoyingness (is that a word?) so your all skrewd. BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!

:rolleyes:

I'm confused as I'm talking about maintaining the same exhaust tone as what I already have, which is definitely not "BRRRRRRAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAPPPPPP!" :laugh: Not sure where loudness/annoyingness came from (ha now that word has been used twice, so it must be a word :))

mike, your exhaust will be restrictive for a N/A 3L let alone a turbo 3L. get rid of it. you are going to need to go with a 3" setup or your going to have heat issues, and lower than expected HP numbers. deal with it! a 3" exhaust with one muffler and the turbo will make it quiet enough, if your routing your wastegate back into the exhaust.

mike, your exhaust will be restrictive for a N/A 3L let alone a turbo 3L. get rid of it. you are going to need to go with a 3" setup or your going to have heat issues, and lower than expected HP numbers. deal with it! a 3" exhaust with one muffler and the turbo will make it quiet enough, if your routing your wastegate back into the exhaust.

I've be waiting for a reason to use this :laugh:....

mofoyh4au3.gif

Say hello to the first new part of my 3-3.5" SS cat-back exhaust. I finally gave in. I'm going to remove my Borla cat-back and recreate it with 3-3.5" T304 stainless steel. I'll buy new Borla mufflers and a Borla resonator. As an added perk I'm also going to install an electric cutout to provide more flow at the track.

newexhausttips.jpg

Update on Engine 3

Update on Engine 3

Alright ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, the tear down has begun. Tonight I took down the engine to just the block, pistons, rods, and crank. Everything else has been removed, bagged and tagged. Looking to remove the crank, rods, and pistons tomorrow to bring the block into Wagamon Bros to review the build and measure the block so I can size my pistons accordingly. It's late so I'll post tear down pics tomorrow afternoon. I did find just a couple of suprises along the way, nothing major though... more or less a "ah ha" moment.

Back