• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I really can't wait to see how the traction bars work out. how where you going to secure them to the LCA's again? woild they be something universal (working on four bolt, two bolt, and tubular)?

I remember you where talking about tubular LCA's, but I dont remember anything definitive?

Great Build #49 this thing is going to be a monster and look like a million bucks when is all finish. I was reading some of your post's and found the e85 post and just wanted to share my finds, I have a 98 CSVT turbo charged with the stock 2.5 and running meth. This was the cheapest horse power for my money i have ever spent. I gained 100hp/100tq to the wheels by spending 400 dollars no need for race fuel or e85. The 5gal can is 45 dollars and the kit comes with a 1gal container, I got a full 8 pass tune and drove around for a week playing with the car and it only used about 1qt, and the best part only one tune. Not sure of ur engine management but u might want to consider getting a stand alone system, will get rid of a lot of headaches it got me some good numbers for my stock 2.5, and for all the money u are spending on it it will be like an insurance policy for ur engine the stock ecu can only handle so much adjustment with no fail safes. Hope i have not said the same thing as someone else but don't have a week to read the whole thing lol, just trying to help if I can.

Great Build #49 this thing is going to be a monster and look like a million bucks when is all finish. I was reading some of your post's and found the e85 post and just wanted to share my finds, I have a 98 CSVT turbo charged with the stock 2.5 and running meth. This was the cheapest horse power for my money i have ever spent. I gained 100hp/100tq to the wheels by spending 400 dollars no need for race fuel or e85. The 5gal can is 45 dollars and the kit comes with a 1gal container, I got a full 8 pass tune and drove around for a week playing with the car and it only used about 1qt, and the best part only one tune. Not sure of ur engine management but u might want to consider getting a stand alone system, will get rid of a lot of headaches it got me some good numbers for my stock 2.5, and for all the money u are spending on it it will be like an insurance policy for ur engine the stock ecu can only handle so much adjustment with no fail safes. Hope i have not said the same thing as someone else but don't have a week to read the whole thing lol, just trying to help if I can.

Interesting.... I've considered changing over to a over to a different engine management system, but I really don't want to have to relearn a whole other system. I'm comfortable with SCT's software and the tuner I plan to use is very experienced with it as well. What system are you running on your car?

Interesting.... I've considered changing over to a over to a different engine management system, but I really don't want to have to relearn a whole other system. I'm comfortable with SCT's software and the tuner I plan to use is very experienced with it as well. What system are you running on your car?

Microtech with individual electromotive coils but it sounds like this Sct is good, had never heard of it but sounds a lot less expensive than my set up.

a stand alone with performance oriented coil on plug is a thousand times better than reflashing a stock PCM. with all the insane money being dumped into this project, I dont see why not...

I mean, I have an SCT X3 and an SCT X2, with a NPG tune, on my "budget sleeper"... and everyone seems to think it's all sort of jack legged...

I'd say go all out on management since you've gone all out on internals, turbo, porting, manifolds, fuel pump, injectors, and paint/body...

PS: still waiting to see what happens in the handling department...

Microtech with individual electromotive coils but it sounds like this Sct is good, had never heard of it but sounds a lot less expensive than my set up.

Well just some searching around Microtech is based out of Australia. Looks like the system I would need would be their LT-16 ECU, X6 & coils package priced at right around $1700 after being converted into US dollars.

Also found the EMS 8860 unit when searching for reviews on the Microtech as well as the Megasquirt II system, which I almost forgot about. I think someone else runs Megasquirt on their car if I'm not mistaken. I think if I were to go down this path I would use either the EMS 8860 or the MS-II system.

Just one more thing for me to think about I guess. However I think using the SCT X3 with PRP I should be able to get where I want to go.

Well just some searching around Microtech is based out of Australia. Looks like the system I would need would be their LT-16 ECU, X6 & coils package priced at right around $1700 after being converted into US dollars.

Also found the EMS 8860 unit when searching for reviews on the Microtech as well as the Megasquirt II system, which I almost forgot about. I think someone else runs Megasquirt on their car if I'm not mistaken. I think if I were to go down this path I would use either the EMS 8860 or the MS-II system.

Just one more thing for me to think about I guess. However I think using the SCT X3 with PRP I should be able to get where I want to go.

Yep never ending but if you are good with your tuner stick with it, i know I am the same way ones you learn something you stay with it. It would just be a bad deal to have something go wrong and not have a fail safe in place after all the sweat and tears you are putting into this project. You know I have never figure out what is the deal with CSVT's we know we cant make them go fast like they should for the power and yet we still dump all this money into them lol, but I guess they are addictive. I had all kinds of fast cars 240, m3, b7 etc but the one car I wont get rid of is my Tour, so I know you will be just fine with your software, get it running man cant wait to see the dyno.

Yep never ending but if you are good with your tuner stick with it, i know I am the same way ones you learn something you stay with it. It would just be a bad deal to have something go wrong and not have a fail safe in place after all the sweat and tears you are putting into this project. You know I have never figure out what is the deal with CSVT's we know we cant make them go fast like they should for the power and yet we still dump all this money into them lol, but I guess they are addictive. I had all kinds of fast cars 240, m3, b7 etc but the one car I wont get rid of is my Tour, so I know you will be just fine with your software, get it running man cant wait to see the dyno.

You keep mentioning 'fail safe' What exactly are you referring too? Do you have your management system shutting the engine down if your AFR becomes way off or if your oil pressure drops to some point?

You keep mentioning 'fail safe' What exactly are you referring too? Do you have your management system shutting the engine down if your AFR becomes way off or if your oil pressure drops to some point?

You have aux in/out that you can use for activating relays or hook up to external pressure or temp switches, boost controller to drop the boost etc. just a lot more flexibility and tuning abilities, my meth injection I have hooked up to it so when the fluid is low boost cuts to normal waste gate spring pressure about 7psi sky is the limit and how Many in/outs you have.

You have aux in/out that you can use for activating relays or hook up to external pressure or temp switches, boost controller to drop the boost etc. just a lot more flexibility and tuning abilities, my meth injection I have hooked up to it so when the fluid is low boost cuts to normal waste gate spring pressure about 7psi sky is the limit and how Many in/outs you have.

thats awesome!

anyone know how well E85 and N2o would play together? for some reason it seems like a good idea to me. less dense fuel and more dense air???

you've really got me going with this whole e85 thing now. a friend of mine is offering me a walbro 255 for free. it's from a jag XJ6, from the pics he sent it looks like the right one for a contour as well...

a 255 fuel pump, 24lb injectors, an AFPR and a good dyno tune loaded onto my Xcal and I should be able to run e85 with a 75 shot of dry nos kit right?

thats awesome!

anyone know how well E85 and N2o would play together? for some reason it seems like a good idea to me. less dense fuel and more dense air???

you've really got me going with this whole e85 thing now. a friend of mine is offering me a walbro 255 for free. it's from a jag XJ6, from the pics he sent it looks like the right one for a contour as well...

a 255 fuel pump, 24lb injectors, an AFPR and a good dyno tune loaded onto my Xcal and I should be able to run e85 with a 75 shot of dry nos kit right?

Why are you asking these questions in someone elses thread that is already waaaay too long?

We'll I think I will be looking into building a new fuel tank top hat to house dual 340lph Aeromotive Stealth pumps... Just to have in squared away for the 'just in case' factor if it is required to run the E85 like it seems to be. Here are some shots of the pump and the OE pump. Looks like it's the original pump too based off the date code ;)

tankn.jpg

comparer.jpg

originalud.jpg

fuelpumpmounting.jpg

Oh and here was my b-day gift from my brother that I just put up in the garage...

fordracingbanner.jpg

why use two stealth pumps at that point, why not boost the one you have with an inline pump? aeromotive makes tons of performance stand alone pumps???

also, out of curiosity, do you plan to pain under the seats and stuff too?

why use two stealth pumps at that point, why not boost the one you have with an inline pump? aeromotive makes tons of performance stand alone pumps???

also, out of curiosity, do you plan to pain under the seats and stuff too?

I'm assuming you meant 'paint', but no I am not. I'm painting the inside of the trunk, but no one will ever be tearing up the carpet to see the paint. Regularly seen surfaces or surface that could be see from time to time, I will be painting.

Already bought a replacement lock ring. Did it 10min after taking the pump assembly out.

Tank is in good shape. Yea there is a little surface rust, but its structural sound and intact.

I pulled my walbro pump out yesterday. I definitely need a new ring. I'm not sure why it was so rusted as it doesn't see harsh weather any more. Thanks for the links Sam!

DSS Level 3.9 Axle & Hub Kit Arrives!

DSS Level 3.9 Axle & Hub Kit Arrives!

UPS guy finally flippin came... 6:31pm delivery, was supposed to be here between 10:30am-5pm so I ended up having to stay home while the wife went out without me.

Anyway on with the pics!

boxo.jpg

packagingo.jpg

hub1e.jpg

hub3.jpg

studs1.jpg

stud2.jpg

axles1.jpg

axles2.jpg

axles3.jpg

axles4.jpg

Back