• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I wonder if the car will sound like it has a jet engine in it with that pump. The Walbro 255 pump is crazy loud in my car.

I don't want to get the thread off-topic, but just a quick question. Are you running an adjustable FPR or the stock unit with your 255?

Not much of an update, but thanks to CrazyTalkSVT, I got my dash cross brace blasted clean of all the rust that was on it. I painted it over the last couple of days...
Sad this is this is the only thing that has been painted. Shooting for next weekend now. As this weekend is shot.
Looks good, I should have had him do mine while I had my dash out... :ponder:

Well... I've been strongly considering E85 and after talking with a few companies I think I'll be going with Injector Dynamic 1000cc injectors (p/n: ID1000-14). Talking with their tech guys they work perfectly for what I want to do. Just need to figure out a tune for both 93 octane and E85. Only concern is the SVT Contour's ECM resolution capabilies to drive the injectors for 93 octane.

Injector_Dynamic_4d486316088b2.jpg

Any engine can run E85 if tuned correctly. It's normally an issue for the fuel delivery system (lines, pump, tank) since E85 can eat away plastic and rubber. I think Mike is updating everything anyway so he could probably run whatever he wants.

Any engine can run E85 if tuned correctly. It's normally an issue for the fuel delivery system (lines, pump, tank) since E85 can eat away plastic and rubber. I think Mike is updating everything anyway so he could probably run whatever he wants.

I thought I read a while ago that it can also eat away at piston rings etc. So I was just wondering about that.

I thought I read a while ago that it can also eat away at piston rings etc. So I was just wondering about that.

E85 seems to get lumped together with methanol, leading to all this talk about damaging stuff. E85 is far less destructive from what I can tell. It just tends to dry out certain plastics/rubber, and doesn't like paper gaskets IIRC.

On a side note: I really want to see this build support E85 as my E85 venture has lost it's funding :blackeye:

The tank will be staying the same, but the lines may or may not be changing, and of course I am changing out the pump. Since I'm increasing the flow of the pump and then going from 199cc to 1000cc injectors.. I think I may need a larger line. Everything I've found says I should be running a -8 (1/2") supply and a -6 (3/8") return. Not sure what the return system have stock, but I may be able to get by with a -6 supply and a -4 (1/4") return too as a few people have been running that without problems. We'll see.

E85 seems to get lumped together with methanol, leading to all this talk about damaging stuff. E85 is far less destructive from what I can tell. It just tends to dry out certain plastics/rubber, and doesn't like paper gaskets IIRC.

On a side note: I really want to see this build support E85 as my E85 venture has lost it's funding :blackeye:

Well it's destructive enough for Aeromotive to say that it will require more frequent filter changes and possibly shorten the service life of their pumps...

you can use E85 in NA engines to get more power as well, but you have to tune for it. in both NA or FI engines the fuel economy goes down because there is less energy per liter in E85 than in standard gasoline. the reason you get more power is because there is more fuel to burn with E85 since stoich is at something like 9.7:1 instead of the leaner 14.7:1 of gasoline. because of the difference in stoich it also means you need larger injectors to support the same power with E85, about 48-50% larger.

The tank will be staying the same, but the lines may or may not be changing, and of course I am changing out the pump. Since I'm increasing the flow of the pump and then going from 199cc to 1000cc injectors.. I think I may need a larger line. Everything I've found says I should be running a -8 (1/2") supply and a -6 (3/8") return. Not sure what the return system have stock, but I may be able to get by with a -6 supply and a -4 (1/4") return too as a few people have been running that without problems. We'll see.

Well it's destructive enough for Aeromotive to say that it will require more frequent filter changes and possibly shorten the service life of their pumps...

mike, let me know when you are going to build a fuel system. my uncle splurged and bought all the billet -an wrenches and the "kool tools" fitting installation tools, and the proper line cutter. it will make the -an lines a breeze to build. i'll come down for a day with all his stuff and we'll get them built :)

mike, let me know when you are going to build a fuel system. my uncle splurged and bought all the billet -an wrenches and the "kool tools" fitting installation tools, and the proper line cutter. it will make the -an lines a breeze to build. i'll come down for a day with all his stuff and we'll get them built :)

Nice. I'll let you know.

So I was talking with a Aeromotive tech and was discussing lines size and there pump capabilities with E85. According to their tech their fuel pump service life running at 60-70psi line pressure was 2500-3000 hours. He said with E85 it reduced their pump life to 35-50%... kind of crappy. However I'm only going to be running at 43.5psi so I should be better off.

i just finished reading 950+ posts about your build (it only took me a week) and it seems that it has evolved from an engine build to almost a full on restomod. the time and detail that you have put into your car is simply amazing. i can't wait to see it finished. i do have a couple of questions though.
1. are you going to use subframe connectors? i don't recall seeing anything about them.
2. you traction bar, are you going to build once from scratch or are you going to modify one from another car? i know that you had touched on the subject but i don't recall reading anything specific after full race seemed to flake out on you.

i just finished reading 950+ posts about your build (it only took me a week) and it seems that it has evolved from an engine build to almost a full on restomod. the time and detail that you have put into your car is simply amazing. i can't wait to see it finished. i do have a couple of questions though.
1. are you going to use subframe connectors? i don't recall seeing anything about them.
2. you traction bar, are you going to build once from scratch or are you going to modify one from another car? i know that you had touched on the subject but i don't recall reading anything specific after full race seemed to flake out on you.

Yea it's definitely a lengthy read. I tried to pull out the specifics in the table of contents I made in the first post.

So to your questions...

1. Yes I have a set of subframe connectors that came from a GB a long time ago.
2. I've designed them from scratch, however after looking at what is out there it seems that everyone does it the same... bolt into where the front tow hooks go and create a cross brace between the two points and based off the suspension geometry position your traction bar mounting points accordingly. My design is basically finished, but I have more pressing things that need to be addressed first. The traction bar setup can be installed after the fact just as easy. My immediate goals are to get the car painted and get the powertrain back in the car and running.

Back