• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

You turds filling in your body seam - I didn't do mine when I had my car painted :blackeye:.

That looks....Overwhelming. Nice job, cant wait to see the finished product.

Tell me about it. Going to be a huge undertaking when I go to put it all back together. I think I have well over a 100 ziplock bags with parts tagged in them. Not to mention the whole engine assemble... ugh.

I was going to say that looks like a fun puzzle. Sounds like you are labeling everything though so it shouldn't be too bad. Nice work!

Yea it shouldn't be bad at all. I have the factory service manual and the factory engine build manual all of which are fairly detailed, especially the engine one. Plus I've pulled enough of these apart that I know how everything should go.

looks amazing dude, can't wait to see paint on it!

one thing I'd like to see someone do is remove the american "dent" that runs the length of the doors, causing it to be that much less mondeo....

hint hint

looks amazing dude, can't wait to see paint on it!

one thing I'd like to see someone do is remove the american "dent" that runs the length of the doors, causing it to be that much less mondeo....

hint hint

maybe because it's an american car...

Anyway it's more then just the doors. That is the body line of the car and it would need to be addressed in the fenders and bumpers as well. Not taking that on, besides it doesn't bother me.

Mike

Post a pic of that engine harness you aquired.

Hopefully its not one you 'repaired' with 150 butt connectors. As an electronics professional I can say that's the least professional and most problematic "fix" you could ever do. Not trying to be a d-bag (I say that a lot on this forum) just potentially trying to stop a problem before it starts.

No lol. He just bought one and I want to see if its an E1 harness so I can covert it for him.. But thanks for your info.

Hopefully its not one you 'repaired' with 150 butt connectors. As an electronics professional I can say that's the least professional and most problematic "fix" you could ever do. Not trying to be a d-bag (I say that a lot on this forum) just potentially trying to stop a problem before it starts.

Please man.... clearly you don't know me well enough :nonono:. If I did anything with the harnesses I would string new wires all the way through out the harness. You can't put bandaid fixes on those older harnesses. If you cut out one spot it'll just start cracking in another. Either run new wires or trash the harness, those are the only two options in my book.

Just an update. So I've started working on the transmission side of things. After talking with Terry Haines for a while I'm doing the following...

- 02 Mercury Cougar MTX-75
- 3.56 final drive from 08 Focus, buying matching diff ring gear and output shaft
- twin blocked 3rd gear
- old style Contour shift tower with keyed mod
- changing out shift cable assemblies with new ones to match shift tower
- installing my Torsen T2 in new transmission

That said once I get this transmission back my old one will be for sale, which have the following

updated shift forks
focus shift tower​

Back