• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

This thread is starting to suck, because people keep posting the stupidest crap! Just READ people READ!! Mike even spent probably hours putting together a table of contents.

This thread is starting to suck, because people keep posting the stupidest crap! Just READ people READ!! Mike even spent probably hours putting together a table of contents.

Tell me about it... look at the first page people :shrug:

Ended up running around the metro trying to do some equipment and material shopping most of the morning. Picked up a vacuum pump for vacuum bagging my carbon fiber parts. Apparently 400 grit is hard come by these days had to go to 3 different stores and finally just gave up and bough 500 grit :nonono: I also picked up duplicolor rubberized undercoating, which should do the trick. I also bought a scale so I can measure out the needed quantities to mix the 80A urethane for my roll resistors along with a few other people that wanted to have me fill their mounts when I did mine. Just filled my rear roll resistor so we'll see how it turns out before I start on everyone else's. I'm pretty confident though as I called the supplier of the urethane and talked with them about it for a while to ensure I wouldn't run into any issues.

Talked with my brother and we are both setting aside May 29-31 to paint my car ;)

Rear roll resistor...

rrfillside.jpg

What kind of radio antenna setup are you going to do? I know the aerodynamics of the stock one may alter any straight line acceleration, and studies have shown that during extreme left hand cornering, the antenna when fully extended can cause extreme amounts of oversteer. You know, since you're going all out, I think you need an aggressive low pro antenna

:D

This build is too epic. I wish I could just see it in person. That RR looks intense

This build is too epic. I wish I could just see it in person

You will if you go to SZ next year... ;)

Although that said we should have a big meet on the west side sometime too... get goin on that.

As for that antenna I might go with a film one in the front or rear window... or maybe something like this on the roof ;)

BMW-M3-E36-E39-E46-E90-M5-SHARK-FIN-ANTENNA-REAL-CARBON-for-sale_330495269453.jpg

Hahahahah, yes! Even the antenna will be modded!!

I'm definitely going to go next hear. Ill have a bunch of stuff to do but I'm going to do it and save the money. I'll sell my body if I have to!

Hahahahah, yes! Even the antenna will be modded!!

Did you expect anything less! :laugh:

The only things that won't be touched in this car will be the rear seats, rear seat bolsters, dash pad, and glove box... oh and the rear seat belts... and passenger side a-pillar.... and ABS controller... ok ok you get the picture :laugh:

have you tried the radio with just detaching the external antenna? I shaved the cougar's antenna off like 6 years ago and just left the wiring inside the vehicle and the radio reception was just fine.

(I was also told I could attach a dipole to the end of the cable and greatly improve things from there).

definitely take some pics if you could of the underbody process. I must say I'm quite interested in learning about the paint prep process.

Screw listening to the radio when you got a 500hp turbo 3L!!

But it's going to have a flip up touchsreen display with a Carputer running a Windows operating system with GPS and WiFi... gotta be able to listen and watch my youtube vid's :laugh: not while driving of course...

I was curious. I know you will be running the st220 upper intake and that it is more cubic inches than the stock 3.0 intake. But how does it stack up against the 2.5 upper intake? Or am I mistaken in hearing that the 2.5 uim was better than the 3.0 uim?

I was curious. I know you will be running the st220 upper intake and that it is more cubic inches than the stock 3.0 intake. But how does it stack up against the 2.5 upper intake? Or am I mistaken in hearing that the 2.5 uim was better than the 3.0 uim?

There are a TON of threads on these comparisons (hell I made of one of them). All you need to do is search.

Since while writing this I searched for more then 10min and didn't come up with anything useful to answer your particular question I'll lay it out for you...

2.5L Contour/Cougar UIM - split port tuned intake. Tuned because it has primary and secondary runners which have lengths designed to provide the best power/torque at two specific RPM ranges one low and the other high.
2.5L SVT Contour UIM - same as above but has been extrude honed by Kennametal Extrude Hone to provide better flow
3.0L Taurus/Sable/Escape/Mariner, etc UIM - Oval port tuned intake, designed to provide the best power/torque available over a single RPM range, which is low. Has more volume then the SVT intake to support the larger engine.
3.0L Mondeo UIM (inc. ST220) - Oval port tuned intake, more performance oriented then the above design with it's use on the ST220 model. Has larger plenum volume then the above mentioned oval port intake, but again is designed to provide the best power/torque available over a single RPM range, which I haven't done the math on, but would bet it is still in the low-mid RPM range.

But it's going to have a flip up touchsreen display with a Carputer running a Windows operating system with GPS and WiFi... gotta be able to listen and watch my youtube vid's :laugh: not while driving of course...

Ridiculous!! I am tempted to save up to go to SZ next year just to see this thing, but thats pretty far for me and with gas prices it would be pretty pricey.

have you tried the radio with just detaching the external antenna? I shaved the cougar's antenna off like 6 years ago and just left the wiring inside the vehicle and the radio reception was just fine.

(I was also told I could attach a dipole to the end of the cable and greatly improve things from there).

definitely take some pics if you could of the underbody process. I must say I'm quite interested in learning about the paint prep process.

i have no antenna curently, and there is no reception, unless your lucky.

Back