• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

When plastic manifold usually come apart where they are glued together as they are two pieces. I have seen the FSVT IM take 22 psi.

OK well I'm going to let the cat out of the bag. The ST220 intake is no different then the standard Mondeo intake manifold. As a matter of fact after talking with the UK guys the only difference (engine wise) between the ST220 and the standard Mondeo are three things. Completely different exhaust, different intake air box, and transmission. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. So moral of the story, don't get suckered into paying insane amounts of money for a "ST220" intake.
Well, that's a bunch of bad information. The "std" mondeo v6 was the 2.5L which always used the same dual runner design intake manifold, cams, and pistons as the non-svt contour did. Even after the Contour was discontinued. The Mondeo ST200 used the same intake, cams, & pistons as Contour SVT.

The ST220 had it's own special intake and unique camshafts. Cranks & pistons were the same as the 3.0L Taurus & Escape.

Well, that's a bunch of bad information. The "std" mondeo v6 was the 2.5L which always used the same dual runner design intake manifold, cams, and pistons as the non-svt contour did. Even after the Contour was discontinued. The Mondeo ST200 used the same intake, cams, & pistons as Contour SVT.

The ST220 had it's own special intake and unique camshafts. Cranks & pistons were the same as the 3.0L Taurus & Escape.

Well when I said standard I was referring to the 3.0L V6 Mondeo. I talked with the UK Mondeo owners and the engines of the 3.0L ST220 Mondeo versus the 3.0L Mondeo are exactly the same. The only differences with the ST220 are the exhaust and the intake air box. Don't believe me... fine go talk to the people across the pond like I did and they'll set you straight

EDIT: just to point you in the right direction here is one of the threads I started with some good information for you to read up on... linky

EDIT2: Better yet I'll just quote it for you...
logiclee from MEG said:
There were major mechanical differences between the old 2.5V6 and ST200 but not between the 3.0V6 and ST220.
Myself and an old member on here went through the part numbers. The differences between the 3.0V6 and ST220 are airbox (5speed only), exhaust and alternator. The intake side of things including the manifolds and throttle body are the same on both varients as well.

The exhaust is a massive difference though, the 3.0V6 uses the standard 2.5V6 system which is quite restrictive.
Both banks are joined at the manifolds and all 6 cylinders are fed through a common precat then through the main cat, then through the middle silencer, then through the left handle silencer and then piped over to the other side of the car and through the back box.
On the ST220 each bank is kept seperate through twin sports cats and then passed through freeflowing twin entry and exit silencers and to the twin rear silencers.

exhaust.jpg

The power curves for both engines are indenticle all the way upto 5000rpm (There's 3bhp in it at 5k), at the final power peak the standard unit starts to tail off while the ST220 breaths better and longer.

Looking at the extra inlet on the airbox I'm not sure what good that did as it's tiny and they deleted it on the 6 speed models anyway.
As for the Alternator difference? Don't have a clue unless it's a clearance issue on the exhaust manifolds.

Cheers
Lee

Can you do as one member suggested and fill both intakes up with water to see which one holds more volume?And where did you say you got your motor from?

Water filled results for the ST220/Mondeo intake are in...

The intake held 7.5L of water. I would give a plus or minus of 150mL for a tolerance though given the condition and the measuring device.

mike would you mind filling yoru plastic manifold too?

+1 I want to know the difference. I will try to fill up my EH SVT UIM to compare as well! How did you cap off every hole? So I can do it in a similar manner. No Hurry tho, I know how much time this can take. I just wish my car was in my own garage where I can work on it day in and day out. I gotta buy a house!

- amyn

mike would you mind filling yoru plastic manifold too?

+1 I want to know the difference. I will try to fill up my EH SVT UIM to compare as well! How did you cap off every hole? So I can do it in a similar manner. No Hurry tho, I know how much time this can take. I just wish my car was in my own garage where I can work on it day in and day out. I gotta buy a house!

- amyn

Come on you guys... do you really think I wasn't going to do the escape manifold too and leave you guys hanging! You should know me better then that... It's just a royal PITA to do though I will say that. I did the ST220 intake because I wanted to ship it out to Extrude Hone today. So as soon as I finished with the test I packaged it up.

I had a late day at work and just got home about an hour ago. However I should be able to run the test on the escape manifold tomorrow or Wed.

Also when I get my ST220 intake back from Extrude hone I may do it again, but I doubt there will be a huge difference.

This is going to be the thread of all threads! I wish you the absolute best of luck with this build Mike and can't wait to see it finished. I will be keeping close track of this thread for sure!

I have a few questions about the ST220, maybe someone can answer them. Did this ST220 incorporated vvt? Did it use DAMB or RFF? and What is the cam profile compared to the SVT Contour cams?

There isn't much info on the ST220 online but from what I could find it looks like the ST220 did not have VVT. No word on DAMB or RFF but I'd guess RFF.

Well when I said standard I was referring to the 3.0L V6 Mondeo. I talked with the UK Mondeo owners and the engines of the 3.0L ST220 Mondeo versus the 3.0L Mondeo are exactly the same. The only differences with the ST220 are the exhaust and the intake air box.

That's funny...spent nearly a decade working with the Duratec engine and I never knew there was a 3.0L Mondeo vehicle not designated as an ST220. Whenever it was talked about in engineering circles, it was always referred to as being for the ST220 Mondeo.

That's funny...spent nearly a decade working with the Duratec engine and I never knew there was a 3.0L Mondeo vehicle not designated as an ST220. Whenever it was talked about in engineering circles, it was always referred to as being for the ST220 Mondeo.

:shrug: Learn something new every day

Not a bunch of bad information after all eh :crazy:

Update on Exhaust

Update on Exhaust

Say hello to the first new part of my 3-3.5" SS cat-back exhaust. I finally gave in. I'm going to remove my Borla cat-back and recreate it with 3-3.5" T304 stainless steel. I'll buy new Borla mufflers and a Borla resonator. As an added perk I'm also going to install an electric cutout to provide more flow at the track.

newexhausttips.jpg

Update on Engine

Update on Engine

Well my old engine builder that did my Camaro's engine doesn't work with the new age engines. They prefer and continue to work on the old 350's. So Competition Engines of Eagan, MN is out for me. After calling around and talking with a lot of repetable shops I've chosen Wagamon Brothers to hone out the block and balance my rotating assembly. Their V6 performance guy was out today, but I will be calling back tomorrow and making an appointment to meet with him in person this Friday. Based on our discussions I will be making the decision on my rod and piston combo. I may have them do my head work too as a one stop shop :cool:

I like your choice of doing something different with the tips. Is your plan to cut out some of the bumper?

I was always thinking of some D shape tips with the flat side on the bottom so it was flush with the valance.

I like your choice of doing something different with the tips. Is your plan to cut out some of the bumper?

I was always thinking of some D shape tips with the flat side on the bottom so it was flush with the valance.

Not sure yet. I'm either going to cut out the bumper to make room for it horizontally or I am going to mount them vertically with a slight angle similar to what is done with the Lexus IS-F.

I'm going to remove my Borla cat-back and recreate it with 3-3.5" T304 stainless steel. I'll buy new Borla mufflers and a Borla resonator.

I chopped my borla catback up and ran a 3" pipe from the y to the stock borla split (keeping the stock borla resonators and tips). I also installed a 3" magnaflow muffler in the main section. 3.5" is overkill in my opinion. One single 3" pipe is enough for an FI build. I kept the stock 2.25 split pipes because that is still more flow than a single 3" section and I wanted to stay close to the stock borla sound. It's bit too louder than I would have liked but it isn't horrible. The 3" pipe definitely sits pretty low as it curves around the gas tank so 3.5" may have some ground clearance issues.

I chopped my borla catback up and ran a 3" pipe from the y to the stock borla split (keeping the stock borla resonators and tips). I also installed a 3" magnaflow muffler in the main section. 3.5" is overkill in my opinion. One single 3" pipe is enough for an FI build. I kept the stock 2.25 split pipes because that is still more flow than a single 3" section and I wanted to stay close to the stock borla sound. It's bit too louder than I would have liked but it isn't horrible. The 3" pipe definitely sits pretty low as it curves around the gas tank so 3.5" may have some ground clearance issues.

Thanks for the heads up Chris. Sounds like 3" is the way to go. That's what I'm after too is to maintain the same sound as the Borla offers, because right now with my Trubendz test pipe, WR hearders, and Borla exhaust... I love the tone of the exhaust and when you get on it, it has a nice growl too it.

Update on Engine 2

Update on Engine 2

Alright it is decided after discussing my build with Wagamon Brothers performance tech they recommend the K1 rods with either Wiseco pistons or CP pistons.

So I most likely will be finalizing the build with them this Friday. I will be buying the rods (depending on price) through them because they should be able to get a better price then I can on my own (unless someone wants to do a GB :laugh:). Wagamon will be honing out the block and balancing the rotating assembly for me. Depending on the time line of the custom pistons the engine should be in the shop not later then Dec. 14th.

Things are starting to come together :cool:

Back