• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

The heads look pretty. I can't wait to see the motor all built up. Sorry if this is a repeat question but did you gasket match the exhaust ports to the exhaust gaskets? I ended up taking a decent amount of material out when I gasket matched my exhaust ports.

The heads look pretty. I can't wait to see the motor all built up. Sorry if this is a repeat question but did you gasket match the exhaust ports to the exhaust gaskets? I ended up taking a decent amount of material out when I gasket matched my exhaust ports.

I personally have not completed any porting work myself (well on this engine anyway). I had BPE Racing Heads do the porting. I have yet to place the exhaust gaskets up against the ports, so I'm not sure where I currently sit. It is a good question, but I don't think I'll mess with the ports even if there is more to take off just for the reversion factor.

Well after a little prying and some burning (I had it soaking in gasoline to see if it would eat the rubber, no dice, but it did help it burn :laugh:)...

and a couple of these...

burnedmountcenter.jpg

Then some sand blasting...

blastedmounts.jpg

I'm ready for some powder coating and some urethane. I have some 94A urethane, but I'm thinking I don't want teeth shattering stiffness. So I'm going to look at some other options.

My dad has the 94 for both the front and rear mounts, its very stiff. I can't remember which 2 we mixed for mine, but it was much more forgiving. I think it was a 60 and 80 something mixed. If I had to do it again I would just do the 80.

Yup I think I'm going to go with 80A urethane. Just can't remember how much I'm going to need. I thought 1lb would be enough for both, but I've got a PM to Josh to see what is up. Hopefully I hear back from him in a bit so I can place the order.

psh, just make them solid. I just installed solid roll mounts on my VR4 and i already had poly motor mounts, its really not that bad.

My dad has the 94 for both the front and rear mounts, its very stiff. I can't remember which 2 we mixed for mine, but it was much more forgiving. I think it was a 60 and 80 something mixed. If I had to do it again I would just do the 80.

DO NOT RUN 60. I experimented with two sets in 60A two years ago, and they were junk in 3k miles. It's too soft. I've done over 300 mounts in 94, and had two people return them because they were "too stiff". You can also remove a lot of the NVH simply by letting the car rest on flat ground with both thru bolts loose and then tightening them down with the engine in it's "natural" position.

DO NOT RUN 60. I experimented with two sets in 60A two years ago, and they were junk in 3k miles. It's too soft. I've done over 300 mounts in 94, and had two people return them because they were "too stiff". You can also remove a lot of the NVH simply by letting the car rest on flat ground with both thru bolts loose and then tightening them down with the engine in it's "natural" position.

Good to know... so maybe 94A is where it's at.

I also was wondering where my lifters where at... looked out the front door and...

lifters1.jpg

lifters2.jpg

Heads will be completely assembled tomorrow!!

94a *is* stiff... but you really don't notice it. I remember when the ADC kit first came out, some people were having issues with the stock mounts flexing too much and the shifter cable pulling the tranny out of gear. I'd be a little worried about that with any urethane softer than 94a.

I hated 94A in the rear roll restrictor. It forced too much vibrations into the steering wheel. The front can be filled with it but I switched back to a stock mount in the rear. I'd do 80 in the rear but that's just me. Then again I think the Cougar seemed to show more road vibrations than the Contour. I would have thought they would be the same but they aren't. Maybe they use different steering racks.

Are the parts in the pictures above actually called lifters? I thought lifters were only used on pushrod motors and these were called hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). Then I did a search on it and now I'm not so sure because the descriptions I found could be those shown above. Just curious so I get it right in the future when describing them.

Are the parts in the pictures above actually called lifters? I thought lifters were only used on pushrod motors and these were called hydraulic lash adjusters (HLA). Then I did a search on it and now I'm not so sure because the descriptions I found could be those shown above. Just curious so I get it right in the future when describing them.

technically they are lash adjusters, but most people refer to them as lifters. generally, a lifter rides on the cam lobes (the Zetec is closer to lifters but they are called direct acting mechanical buckets), while a lash adjuster sits in a hole and takes up the lash in the rocker arm (the middle of the rocker arm rides on the cam with the valve under one end and the lash adjuster under the other).

I hated 94A in the rear roll restrictor. It forced too much vibrations into the steering wheel. The front can be filled with it but I switched back to a stock mount in the rear. I'd do 80 in the rear but that's just me. Then again I think the Cougar seemed to show more road vibrations than the Contour. I would have thought they would be the same but they aren't. Maybe they use different steering racks.

The first time I filled my f/r mounts, I had a ton of vibration. Then I read that the solidity of it will magnify everything... and that a misaligned powertrain was probably the culprit. I got the alignment tool and found the rear was way off (it was towards the bottom). After it was aligned, it had a little vibration.. but I didn't notice it after a couple days.

Back