• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Yikes, those look rough. They'll be in good hands at Headwerks.

Have you done business with Headwerks before? This is the first I heard of them, but they came recommended by Cylinder Head Express in Blaine, MN. I called around to a few places (including Wagamon Brother's that did my block work) and everyone I talked to only had the equipment to do a line bore on the heads. I don't want to take that much material off, which is why I only wanted a line hone. They really are not as bad as the photos make them look. I can barely feel it with the my finger nail. However in any case Headwerk has the necessary equipment to do a line hone, but they want the cams too... so I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to take them in as Dave over at Jetstream Motorsport hasn't finished grinding my cams yet. Although I think they should be ready on Monday as they were supposed to be finishing them up this week.

Never personally, but I've seen a some of their work on other peoples' projects (Audi and BMW), and they have a very good reputation in the Audi/VW/Porsche community locally. There is another machinist right here in Hudson that does great work, and if he weren't there, I'd go to Headwerks as well. I'm not sure the machinist locally to me has a line hone though.....I've never had a need to have that done.

Have you done business with Headwerks before? This is the first I heard of them, but they came recommended by Cylinder Head Express in Blaine, MN. I called around to a few places (including Wagamon Brother's that did my block work) and everyone I talked to only had the equipment to do a line bore on the heads. I don't want to take that much material off, which is why I only wanted a line hone. They really are not as bad as the photos make them look. I can barely feel it with the my finger nail. However in any case Headwerk has the necessary equipment to do a line hone, but they want the cams too... so I'm going to have to wait a few weeks to take them in as Dave over at Jetstream Motorsport hasn't finished grinding my cams yet. Although I think they should be ready on Monday as they were supposed to be finishing them up this week.

Think you are going to make the SZ deadline on this thing?

I'm not sure... I heard back from Jetstream Motorsports this morning and the guy said he'd have a final quote to me by the end of the week... hopefully that means the cams are finished by then as well. So figure another 1-1/2 weeks for those to come in and then I have everything to put the engine together. However really it's the weather that is holding everything up too. I can't prep the car for paint, I can't finish my CF trunk, and I can't finish my CF hood. I'm working on my suspension pieces now since I don't need it to be warm to weld. So really what it comes down to is whether I can get my car painted, engine installed, and the car at DB Performance to tune all in the month of April first part of May (assuming it's warm enough to paint).

i have been looking at contours again, but im' hesitant. simply because here in town, its going to get absolutely SICKENING when people look at whatever i have, nod in approval, and instantly say "dude, do you know the guy with the red one???"

that'll get old ;)

i have been looking at contours again, but im' hesitant. simply because here in town, its going to get absolutely SICKENING when people look at whatever i have, nod in approval, and instantly say "dude, do you know the guy with the red one???"

that'll get old ;)

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like yours will be in running order that often...

I gotta say, this was a fun thread to read through this far into the build, BUT if I would have followed along from the very beginning it would have been a loooooooooooooong sloooooooooooooow wait. I can't imagine what the OP is going through waiting for this to be done. Good job on keeping up with the project! Too many get abandoned along the way.

...instantly say "dude, do you know the guy with the red one???"

that'll get old ;)

Or blue one, or white one... we shall see :laugh: Having had to wait this long I keep changing my mind.

I gotta say, this was a fun thread to read through this far into the build, BUT if I would have followed along from the very beginning it would have been a loooooooooooooong sloooooooooooooow wait. I can't imagine what the OP is going through waiting for this to be done. Good job on keeping up with the project! Too many get abandoned along the way.

Ha... this project is far from over too. I talked with Jetstream Motorsports again this morning. He was expecting the cams to be ready on Monday, but no dice. He is hoping to have something for me tomorrow.

Well here we are Mar 16th and I finally got word that the cams are finally at Jetstream Motorsports! However the guy is out of the office tomorrow and will get back with me ASAP with final pricing and shipping information.

Now onto an over summary of the status of things:

Wire harnesses... I am building my own engine harnesses and starting from scratch. I've spoken with several suppliers to source both the correct connectors as well as the correct colored wiring to match everything on the OEM harnesses from Ford. A number of companies are reviewing my power point presentations, which have detailed pictures of each connector and what they connect too. Many of these companies already offer the pigtails for these connectors so there should not be any problems with them sourcing me the parts. Once company contacted me just today and was asking me for a wiring schematic as they would like to look into just building the harness for me.

Suspension upgrades - with PRT's developments on the suspension components I may not look at recreating the wheel. I'm working with Josh on timing to see when his products will be available for purchase. The rear strut bar is coming along, but I need to fill my brother's tank with shielding gas. I gave him some money on Sunday and he planned on having it filled this week. So I should have all the parts needed to complete my proto builds this weekend. Once the RSTB's are finished I'm going to start working on the traction bars.

CF parts - Weather is warming up, which should hopefully allow me to start finishing up what I started last fall. Keep an eye out for that.

Paint Prep - Again with the weather turning around I should be able start working on this. Goal would be to have the car in primer by mid April.

Engine - Everything is here minus cams. However I will not start final assembly until the car is painted.

bensenvill has his engine harness down to about 10 wires and still has everything working youll need, might want to shoot him a message

good deal! i would love to come see this in person just to see it lol

bensenvill has his engine harness down to about 10 wires and still has everything working youll need, might want to shoot him a message

Haha... while I know he has reduced his harness a lot... I doubt he has it down to anything near 10 wires... you need more then that just to run the injectors :laugh:

Just off the top of my head...

MAF: 4 wires
IAC: 2
IAT: 2
Knock Sensor: 2
cam sensor: 2 (really 3 if you count the shielding wire that wraps around the wires)
crank sensor: 2 (really 3 if you count the shielding wire that wraps around the wires)
power steering pressure switch: 2
injectors: 12 (total)
coil pack: 4
coil pack capacitor: 1
water temp: 1
oil pressure switch: 1
upper HEGO: 8 (total)
fans: 4 (total)
A/C clutch (if installed, will be on mine): 2
Grand total (of just what I thought of): 49

stuff most likely removed
egr vent solenoid: 2
DPFE: 4
lower HEGO: 4

I plan to perform a wire tuck on it anyway so all will look nice and pretty anyway ;)

I dont even want to see the quotes you get for the wiring work :crazy:

I'm not sure if its worthwhile to source components new rather than repurpose an existing harness (especially if the plugs are coming pigtailed, your creating a butt ton of soldering). Anyways, I'm happy to help if you need anything in that dept.

I dont even want to see the quotes you get for the wiring work :crazy:

I'm not sure if its worthwhile to source components new rather than repurpose an existing harness (especially if the plugs are coming pigtailed, your creating a butt ton of soldering). Anyways, I'm happy to help if you need anything in that dept.

Haven't gotten a quote yet. However I'm trying to order the separate connectors with the locks, seals, and pins/sockets. If anything else I may just order the pins/sockets and reuse the locks, connectors, and seals. My goal would not to have a single butt end splice connection in the harness.

What's wrong with your old harness? That seems like a lot of work when the old harness would work perfectly fine. I know your trying to make everything perfect but that seems like a lot of work for no gain.

Mike

I have an email from Bill Jenkins with all of the connectors ford ever made and part numbers for them.

What's wrong with your old harness? That seems like a lot of work when the old harness would work perfectly fine. I know your trying to make everything perfect but that seems like a lot of work for no gain.

As far as the original harness... yes I could use it, but I've already repaired it twice, and it's a major PITA to take it off and put it back on. So I'd rather just build a brand new harness with parts that are reliable and not have to worry about it.

Mike

I have an email from Bill Jenkins with all of the connectors ford ever made and part numbers for them.

Really? That would be interesting to see. However Ford parts would be most likely 10 times more expensive then if you could buy directly from the source. I know a lot of the connectors are actually Amp Econoseal J series connectors. But there are a few HEGO, ECM, and a few harness connection points that use Ford proprietary connectors. However I've thought about just replacing the harness connections with a standardized connector since there isn't a mating part that requires it.

Back