• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

St220 uim ftw

St220 uim ftw

So DHL was so kind to stop by my house today and give me this...

st220intake.jpg

How much you pay for that?

I think with everything it ended up around $250 shipped. You just got to know where to look. If you pay more then that your paying to much. However unless it has work done to it. For example I am sending mine out to get extrude honed.

Intake comparison

Intake comparison

OK well I'm going to let the cat out of the bag. The ST220 intake is no different then the standard Mondeo intake manifold. As a matter of fact after talking with the UK guys the only difference (engine wise) between the ST220 and the standard Mondeo are three things. Completely different exhaust, different intake air box, and transmission. That's it, nothing more, nothing less. So moral of the story, don't get suckered into paying insane amounts of money for a "ST220" intake.

Now that said there are clear differences between the US version 3L intakes and the UK 3L intakes volume and port size for example see below. This is a 2005 Ford Escape 3L UIM and an 2005 Mondeo 3L UIM.

intakecomparison.jpg

dscf2054g.jpg

dscf2059p.jpg

dscf2061s.jpg

dscf2062o.jpg

Engine tear down pics

Engine tear down pics

Alright so I wanted to see what kind of build up there was in the heads if any on this engine so I took off the intake (to do the comparison) and then popped off the valve covers. All I gotta say is damn I did good.

intakeoff.jpg

harnesscopremoved.jpg

dscf2057t.jpg

fronthead.jpg

fronthead2.jpg

rearhead.jpg

rearhead2.jpg

DMn that's pretty clean. Not saying they did this with yours but some places wash the motors out with a solvent and cleans it up pretty good. And yeah peoe got to be freaking crazy to pay 800$ for a intake. The gain If any isn't worth that amount of money. It's spent better else where. So in the pix the port size look the same with your tap. Bit then again I have poor eye sight and am on my iPhone. Can you do as one member suggested and fill both intakes up with water to see which one holds more volume?And where did you say you got your motor from?

Can you do as one member suggested and fill both intakes up with water to see which one holds more volume?And where did you say you got your motor from?

I am planning on filling them both with water to determine the volume differences between the Mondeo UIM and the Escape UIM. So when I get things cleaned up I will do so.

I picked the motor up from a local yard. ABCO Fridley Auto Parts. Those guys are shady though. I doubt I would ever do business with them again. The motor did smell different, but I did dump seafoam through the motor before i tore it apart so I was just thinking that was the cause for the smell. Who knows maybe they did run a cleanser through it.

EDIT: I forgot to mention too yes you are correct the ports measured the same dimensions when comparing the Mondeo UIM to the Escape UIM.

Yeah I got a 91 mr2 turbo and did a lexus vvti v6 swap to it an the motor I got from the yard was like yours. I pulled the plugs and there looked like a drip of water on them an I was like WTF. But I smelled it an it smelled like solvant. I wasn't really complaining cause the motor looked like it came off the show room floor inside and out lol

Yeah I got a 91 mr2 turbo and did a lexus vvti v6 swap to it an the motor I got from the yard was like yours. I pulled the plugs and there looked like a drip of water on them an I was like WTF. But I smelled it an it smelled like solvant. I wasn't really complaining cause the motor looked like it came off the show room floor inside and out lol

Where can I get some of this solvent? My 3L is stripped in my garage and got dust a debris on top of the heads where the cams go.

Looks like junk....I will swing by to dispose of it for you.

I think your money would be better spent finally getting you car tuned.

And now the cat's out of the bag that the all mighty ST220 UIM is nothing special. :cry:

And now the cat's out of the bag that the all mighty ST220 UIM is nothing special. :cry:

Well now I don't know that I would go that far. The Mondeo UIM from the looks of it has more volume then the 3L UIM's here in the US. When I fill them both with water I will report back the results. I should be able to do this tomorrow. The only problem is going to be sealing all of the ports and keeping the UIM water tight.

mike there's a reason that noble is using the plastic manifold like i have on my car. however the st220 manifold is more of a novelty piece as it is sought after. with boost, the difference wouldnt even be noticible. the only thing that the ST manifold has that the plastic lacks is room for growing. there's no way you can make a 65mm TB work on the plastic manifold and seal properly.

as for the engine, looks clean. however that only means that they used synthetic oil, doesnt necessarily mean that they changed it often enough or anything like that. that's how my engine looks though. much better than my first 3L that was red and had deposits everywhere. that said, however; both engines made good power.

mike there's a reason that noble is using the plastic manifold like i have on my car. however the st220 manifold is more of a novelty piece as it is sought after. with boost, the difference wouldnt even be noticible. the only thing that the ST manifold has that the plastic lacks is room for growing. there's no way you can make a 65mm TB work on the plastic manifold and seal properly.

as for the engine, looks clean. however that only means that they used synthetic oil, doesnt necessarily mean that they changed it often enough or anything like that. that's how my engine looks though. much better than my first 3L that was red and had deposits everywhere. that said, however; both engines made good power.

Well I'm sending mine in for extrude honing... can't do that with plastic. Hence the reason why I bought it. Plus I am 95% confident that the Mondeo intake has more available air volume.

Alright just got back from the Ford dealer, the correct part number for replacement plugs on the ST220/Mondeo intake are as follows:

Engineering P/N W528011S1309
Ford P/N F5RZ-6026E

In the US the part is used as the frost plug on all 2.0L Duratec cylinder heads. According to the guy at the parts counter.

f.y.i mike you can extrude hone plastic. focus guys are doing it. the only reason i wuldnt try it is because there isnt enough material for the throttle body gasket so i'd have to make one. plus if i ever boost i wont need to worry so much about manifold volume anyways. i'm excited to see your stuff! i have some parts from the snowmobile i'm building that'll need some black powdercoat if you can find the time!

f.y.i mike you can extrude hone plastic. focus guys are doing it. the only reason i wuldnt try it is because there isnt enough material for the throttle body gasket so i'd have to make one. plus if i ever boost i wont need to worry so much about manifold volume anyways. i'm excited to see your stuff! i have some parts from the snowmobile i'm building that'll need some black powdercoat if you can find the time!

Yea I would be hesitant to extrude hone plastic and us it in a boosted application. The I would be concerned with wall thickness and failing under higher then designed pressure.

As far as the powder coating... as always I have no problems doing it for you. As long as you give me a couple of days notice I can probably get something done for you. However I have to move my SVT out of the garage to do it so if you want it done I would suggest coming over sometime this week or this weekend. Because once I start tearing into my car I'm not going to want to move it around.

Back