• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Very true. This will be the first set of heads I have sent out for work... so I guess I'm a newbie on that front. This is why I didn't want to attempt to port them myself. At least this time around.

just curious if you've made any progress/new developments in the past month? i've been following your build since day 1 and i think this is the first time you haven't given an update for longer than like a week!

i'm well aware there is ALOT of waiting involved with all the work your having done and the turn around time for each process, as well as trying your best to stick to your monthly budget, but i was just curious as to whats goin on with #49?

-Mac

just curious if you've made any progress/new developments in the past month? i've been following your build since day 1 and i think this is the first time you haven't given an update for longer than like a week!

i'm well aware there is ALOT of waiting involved with all the work your having done and the turn around time for each process, as well as trying your best to stick to your monthly budget, but i was just curious as to whats goin on with #49?

-Mac

+1 ...

Yea sorry guys been very busy with the carbon fiber work. Then this whole week I was in Edmonton up in Canada. Just got back into town about 3hrs ago. I'm working on that GB for the roof trim pieces and will now start work on the trunk lid mold to build my carbon fiber trunk. My goal is to try and get all of the paint work done before it gets too cold. I can finish my motor work over the winter so then when SZ11 comes around I'll have a car to trailer to Akron ;)

CSVT#49,

I was reading about the piston squirters that you had installed in the block. Since this is an additional bleed on oil pressure, is anything being done on the oil pump side to offset any pressure loss imparted by the squirters?

CSVT#49,

I was reading about the piston squirters that you had installed in the block. Since this is an additional bleed on oil pressure, is anything being done on the oil pump side to offset any pressure loss imparted by the squirters?

+1. I think the upper end will suffer most since the squirters will feed off the main journals and then the remaining pressure will head up top. Can't skimp on oil pressure, esp feeding a turbo bearing

CSVT#49,

+1. I think the upper end will suffer most since the squirters will feed off the main journals and then the remaining pressure will head up top. Can't skimp on oil pressure, esp feeding a turbo bearing

Same setup as most Nobles... and they do not have problems. So I feel confident with the layout.

Superb thread, this is a really exciting project. I hope it turns out exactly as you expect. I'll be watching with bated breath.

Simon

Superb thread, this is a really exciting project. I hope it turns out exactly as you expect. I'll be watching with bated breath.

Simon

Thanks. Things are going slow because there are a lot of custom parts and custom parts take time... the Manley one piece stainless steel valves are adding about another 2 weeks.

By the way I like that you're getting a valve job with the head-work. I don't know a lot about head-work but I have read that the valve area is super-critical and gains are there (from a 3-angle valve job) that will affect all RPMs nicely. Never heard of a Contour/Mondeo with this work being done before.

What tyre size will you be using for this? I guess something big like 19x8J will help to get the power down.

you would be surprised how much more an 8" rim will grab over a 6.5-7" rim with the same tire size. i went from a 245 on my 7" to a 245 on my 8" and the grip was loads more, and then i put 275's on :drool:

you would be surprised how much more an 8" rim will grab over a 6.5-7" rim with the same tire size. i went from a 245 on my 7" to a 245 on my 8" and the grip was loads more, and then i put 275's on :drool:

i see what u're saying. but not with the kinda power that he's expecting outta this thing. i'm not too sure, but i believe ryanblacksvt was running 19 inch wheels. not too sure of the width, but i'd imagine its close to 8"... he never did better than a mid 14 at the track tho... and even if he did get traction, with that kinda power, he'll snap a few things.

Thanks. Things are going slow because there are a lot of custom parts and custom parts take time... the Manley one piece stainless steel valves are adding about another 2 weeks.

Mike, see if you can get Manley to tell you specifically what steels they are using for thier one-piece valves.

Back