• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

dark blue and that "aluminum" color you had your UIM done in. otherwise, dark blue and "black chrome" would be sweet. i can see it now :D seks!

dark blue and that "aluminum" color you had your UIM done in. otherwise, dark blue and "black chrome" would be sweet. i can see it now :D seks!

I was thinking of trying my luck with the gold again on the intake components if not then maybe the "chrome" look will do. I wonder what chrome with a few coats of a translucent blue would look like on the 04+ valve covers against the ST220 UIM.

Alright so here is the latest... after talking things over with some of the engineers at work that are part of our engine division we all came to the conclusion that I should be able to run with the bearing clearances that I am running with minimal risk.

Now I just need to get the oil squirters machined into my block.

Just FYI... Got the quote back earlier today for the oil squirters for all those interested... $300 for the machining work and $20-$25 for the oil squirters.

And as mentioned earlier here are the folks that will do it, Kinetic Racing Engines

Only you can decide if its worth it but oil sqirters are a really good idea if you drive it alot under boost, can make a big difference how aggressive you can be on the tune when the engine is warm.
-J

Only you can decide if its worth it but oil sqirters are a really good idea if you drive it alot under boost, can make a big difference how aggressive you can be on the tune when the engine is warm.
-J

Oh I'm dead set on running oil squirters. It wasn't a question of whether I would do it or not, but more of who I could find to do the work for me. Thanks to Livinsvt I was able to get everything squared away.

Big thanks to Rara and Spatt for helping me out and taking my 3L block back to Westland, MI to Kinetic Racing Engines! Should have the block back in about 2-3 weeks all ready to go. Now I just need to get my heads out too.

Just got off the phone with Steve over at BPE Racing Heads out of Cali. Looks like I'm good to go on the head work. Should be sending them out later this week to them and It's looking like it will be about a 2 week turn around time. I'm getting excited... the heads are the last piece of the puzzle for the engine build. Everything else is out for work or ready to go. Now I just need to get my butt moving on the rest of the tear down on my shell so my brother and I can get it prepped for paint!

Do you mind if i ask how much you plan on spending at BPE? i read that they offer different stages of porting and such. It's something i kinda wish i did on my car.

Do you mind if i ask how much you plan on spending at BPE? i read that they offer different stages of porting and such. It's something i kinda wish i did on my car.

Here is the email that Steve sent me. I'm cleaning the heads myself and disassembling the valves and valve springs. They will be doing a stage II port job, valve unshrouding and some valve work. I'm debating on whether I will be using Mountune valve springs or the stock springs... so I'd imagine it will be around $500 or so for the work.

Steve @ BPE Racing Heads said:
Mike,

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, we can help you with your heads, The cost would depend on how we receive the heads, what all you would want done and how you wish to receive the heads back. Most customers send us their heads "as removed" from the vehicle with all hardware (camshafts, rocker arms, adjusters, etc.) removed, other than valves & valve springs. We disassemble, clean, inspect the heads & parts, reface, tip & back cut the valves, do any desired porting, finish cut the seats, final clean and assemble (new valve seals required). Customers receive their heads back assembled, ready to re-install cams, other parts and ready to bolt on. Here are some sample costs (labor only, parts extra):​

Stage I & Competition Valve Job Package - $765.00
(add for valve un-shrouding - $85.00, $850.00 total)
Stage II & Competition Valve Job Package - $945.00
(includes valve un-shrouding)

If you have the facilities to disassemble and clean the heads yourself and just want porting alone done to the heads (includes finished seats but no valve work) the cost on clean bare castings we receive would be:

Stage I Porting only
- $270.00
(add for valve un-shrouding - $85.00, $355.00 total)
Stage II Porting only - $450.00
(includes valve un-shrouding)

Thanks again.

Steve Bronston
BPE Racing Heads
702 Dunn Way
Placentia CA 92870
Tel 714-572-6072
Fax 714-572-6073
www.bpeheads.com

That's not bad at all. If my motor ever asplodes I'll get me some of them, thanks.

My thoughts exactly. I'll be disassembling my heads later this week and then cleaning them. I should have more info by late next week.

argh... crap just seems to be draggggggggggggggggggging on.

Just an update. I decided to disassemble the heads myself (rather then paying $75 to have someone else do it, guaranteeing myself everything will be in order), which required some specialty tools. I have since ordered these and they should be arriving tomorrow. So hopefully this weekend I will get everything apart that I need to and then send them off for the port and polish work Monday....

argh... crap just seems to be draggggggggggggggggggging on.

Just an update. I decided to disassemble the heads myself (rather then paying $75 to have someone else do it, guaranteeing myself everything will be in order), which required some specialty tools. I have since ordered these and they should be arriving tomorrow. So hopefully this weekend I will get everything apart that I need to and then send them off for the port and polish work Monday....

Where did you get the valve spring compressor? I can't find one that will fit. I used a hammer and socket to take them apart. Figured I would take it to a shop to have them put back together. I havent called around to check on a price yet but wanted to compare the cost.

Where did you get the valve spring compressor? I can't find one that will fit. I used a hammer and socket to take them apart. Figured I would take it to a shop to have them put back together. I havent called around to check on a price yet but wanted to compare the cost.

Via the Ford Service CD...

springcompressortools.png

Also here are the mastery kits, which I order that contained the kits pictures above,

TKIT-1990-LMH/MH FORD ESSENTIAL SERVICE KIT
tkit1990lmhmhtoolkit.png

T88C-1000-ST FORD ESSENTIAL SERVICE KIT
t88c1000sttoolkit.png

I also just bought a transmission tool kit to rebuild my MTX-75 too....

T94P-1000-FH/FLMH
t94p1000fhflmh.png

mike i think you officially have more money in tools for your build than i have in my whole swap. way to make me look bad! :D

Head Disassembly Pics

Head Disassembly Pics

Alright well I've torn down one head and man it went smooth. Having the right tools is worth the money. You can gain an idea of the time by the amount of beer left in the bottle :laugh:

Now I have to wait for my other kit to get here so I can remove the valve stem seals.

headdis1.jpg

headdis3.jpg

headdis4.jpg

headdis5.jpg

headdis6.jpg

headdis7.jpg

Back