• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Awesome build! As far as the paintjob, I have not heard of a shop doing a show quality paint job bellow 4k, and as much as 7k.... I would say that 5k is the price you would have to pay to have the car painted to show quality finish...

Is it worth it? Well, it all depends on what you wanna do with the car... I had made a comment on Rawburt's thread the other day, seems like whenever someone bulids up their cars, as soon as they are done, they sell it..... Never made any sense to me. If you plan on keeping it, then...

That said, it seems you are building this thing the right way, by not cutting corners... So why not get a top quiality paint job to go along...?

Good luck with the project bud. :cool:

Alright I got a hold of Roger at Roger's Rod and Custom by my house. He hadn't gotten to the email I sent him with all of the details because he has been exteremly busy trying to finish up all of his work before the end of the week. He is heading out to Mexico for vacation next week. In any case...

He said he'd be happy to help me out. He happen to be looking for work for March anyway. I told him what was up with the car and what I was looking for and he said not a problem. Also seemed like he didn't have any problems meeting my somewhat of a deadline to make it to SZ10 either so that's good.

A big thank you to CrazyTalkSvt for the recommendation :cool: Roger is the guy that did the plastic work and paint for his SVT/Mondeo bumper modification :drool:

Now I just need to get my entire house in order. I've having all of the flooring in my house ripped up and replaced on the 19 & 20th. So looks like starting Feb 22nd I can start prepping for this thing to go out for paint work. Guess I better get my butt in gear and install that turbo kit on the 2.5L so I can figure out where all my piping needs to go and get my holes drilled :crazy:

Anyone wanna come help out :D

Sweet! I'm glad Roger is going to help you out. His shop is very close to ours so I'll be able to swing in and check the progress...at least on the paint side of things. :cool:

Alright I got a hold of Roger at Roger's Rod and Custom by my house. He hadn't gotten to the email I sent him with all of the details because he has been exteremly busy trying to finish up all of his work before the end of the week. He is heading out to Mexico for vacation next week. In any case...

He said he'd be happy to help me out. He happen to be looking for work for March anyway. I told him what was up with the car and what I was looking for and he said not a problem. Also seemed like he didn't have any problems meeting my somewhat of a deadline to make it to SZ10 either so that's good.

A big thank you to CrazyTalkSvt for the recommendation :cool: Roger is the guy that did the plastic work and paint for his SVT/Mondeo bumper modification :drool:

Now I just need to get my entire house in order. I've having all of the flooring in my house ripped up and replaced on the 19 & 20th. So looks like starting Feb 22nd I can start prepping for this thing to go out for paint work. Guess I better get my butt in gear and install that turbo kit on the 2.5L so I can figure out where all my piping needs to go and get my holes drilled :crazy:

Anyone wanna come help out :D

i'd love to come help out but these days i have more time than $$$$ so i have to find ways to make some while i'm not working :/

Sweet! I'm glad Roger is going to help you out. His shop is very close to ours so I'll be able to swing in and check the progress...at least on the paint side of things. :cool:

You should take some pics too! That's one thing I might ask Roger about... I'd like to document the progress so I can put a bunch of pictures in an album.

Woohoo!! I finally got the phone call today. My pistons came in yesterday and they are working on balancing the rotating assembly today with my new rods and pistons. Should be able to pick up everything tomorrow! :cool:

Oh man that is going to be sweet. They're installing everything into the block for you correct?

No I have that covered. I'm a hands on guy and do everything myself that I can. Putting together an engine is easy. You just need to have the right tools and the know how :cool:

Another update...

Just heard back from BPE Racing. Looks like I'm sending out my heads for their stage II porting and competiton valve job, which includes valve un-shrouding :cool:

bpeford30l4vv6.jpg

Lol wow... well I hope you are the one who figures out how to put all this power to the ground. You are correct though in that the Honda guys do it regularly so there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to. What is your horsepower goal anyway? With this motor I mean... seriously 500-600 does not seem out of reach.

Lol wow... well I hope you are the one who figures out how to put all this power to the ground. You are correct though in that the Honda guys do it regularly so there is no reason why we shouldn't be able to. What is your horsepower goal anyway? With this motor I mean... seriously 500-600 does not seem out of reach.
The honda guys dont have a strut setup, they have a double wishbone setup which is a much better setup. they also have a much bigger aftermarket with parts designed specifically for drag racing.

As for putting the power to the ground. Did you get ahead with Full Race in regards to a Torque Bar?

My paint job was going to cost me about 7k with the shop doing all the work. Removal of everything sanding of everything and such.

Since I am sanding the car and doing the removal of everything it went down to about 4k. Then with all the work I have done for him to fix his computers and network his new body shop I am getting the paint done for 1000...as long as I do the initial sanding and getting it ready for primer.

Thats pretty much 500 bucks in labor and $500 to purchase the paint! Sounds like you are going the right way with paint. As for the color, Why dont you go all out with a sick color since you are paying for it. All this money for the same TRed is just not worth it in my eyes. I love TRed, but thats just too much money for the same color. Did you think of any other colors or are you set on TRed. (This is just my opinion)

- amyn

The honda guys dont have a strut setup, they have a double wishbone setup which is a much better setup. they also have a much bigger aftermarket with parts designed specifically for drag racing.

Eh yeah true. I guess we need to do what Goumba is doing then lol. I hope he does get it worked out with that torque arm/bar setup though, that would be effing sick.

But honestly there HAS to be a way to get the power to the ground on our cars reliably, it isn't like this is the first fwd platform to get turbo'd and I'm sure that a competent company can design something. Which is what is going on hopefully...

Haha so I'm going to try and hit on all of these at once...

:censored:ing awesome!

Hmm... What else can i link you so you spend more money :laugh:

Yea no doubt huh?! What can I say you've linked to the stuff I'm interested in :shrug: I would have done the head work myself with a friend of mine, but I like the idea of the person doing the work on my heads having completed work on a few other sets besides just mine.

Well I'm certainly going to give it a shot. I want to see it put down 500+whp on the dyno. I plan to only run around the streets with around 350whp though.

True, but there are a lot more fwd cars out there besides just Honda's that have proven big power numbers and have put it to the ground.

As for putting the power to the ground. Did you get ahead with Full Race in regards to a Torque Bar?

...As for the color, Why dont you go all out with a sick color since you are paying for it. All this money for the same TRed is just not worth it in my eyes. I love TRed, but thats just too much money for the same color. Did you think of any other colors or are you set on TRed. (This is just my opinion)

- amyn

I'm still working with Full Race on the traction bar, but they have not been putting a lot of time into this unfortuantely and they have been slow with getting back to me.

I am not dead set on T-red now. I absolutely love the color, but I also like white, dark blue, and british racing green. I'll be talking with Roger next week when he comes back from vacation and I'll figure everything out then. My brother and I may do a lot of the prep work on it ourselves since that is what my brother does for a living now :cool:

Paint it UPS Brown.

Hmmm... no :crazy: Not unless they are going to sponsor me and pay for the paint and all of the parts I'm putting into this thing :laugh:

I assume he's not getting the jambs and whatnot painted nor is he going "all out" and undoing the factory paint job :laugh:.. so t-red is his most economical option.

Well as mentioned above... I'm not so sure at this point.

Eh yeah true. I guess we need to do what Goumba is doing then lol. I hope he does get it worked out with that torque arm/bar setup though, that would be effing sick.

But honestly there HAS to be a way to get the power to the ground on our cars reliably, it isn't like this is the first fwd platform to get turbo'd and I'm sure that a competent company can design something. Which is what is going on hopefully...

There is a way. Someone just needs to put the time and money into it... this guy :laugh:

paint it like this http://www.weirdomatic.com/wp-content/pictures/2007/01/spt3s0ue_resize.jpg...but instead of the graphics just have them paint a huge dragon fighting a unicorn on it

I'd sooner drive my car off a cliff, dump gasoline on the wreckage, and after a few long pulls off of a Cuban I'd toss the well lit cigar onto it and let it burn.

True, but there are a lot more fwd cars out there besides just Honda's that have proven big power numbers and have put it to the ground.

true, but again they almost all have a much larger aftermarket than the Contour. Dont get me wrong, I would love to see someone find a way to put decent power to the ground with the V6, but i also know it will be a difficult and expensive road with few people willing to pay for it.

Back