• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I wanna clarify: I have total respect for the amount of work done to this car. I understand quality work takes a lot of time so keep up the good work:)

Thanks for the complaints. Unfortunately it's not just time, but also it's taking a lot of space too.

I know I've complained about it in here before... but to give you an idea to draw out, cut up, and weld the bracket for that one racing seat I had to wait for a non-raining day (we've got pounded with rain lately), move back the Mazda3 and Expedition in the driveway, move out the gas cans to the side of the house, move out the push mower, move out the snow blower, take out and open my welding table, move out my welding cart, pull out my 220v extension cord, do all of the normal TIG welding setup... it's a project in itself to do anything in my garage. Now look at the car I've been building. Everything I've had to do involved that much work or more. Now image what it took when I needed to paint the body...

All of this just highlights how bad I need a bigger garage and an adequate storage place for normal use items (push lawn mower, weed wacker, lawn tractor, snow blower, shovels, rakes, etc). I've been on the look out for another house, but I need to get the house we have now finished/cleaned up as well. This spring/summer has been just a mess.

Hey last time I checked this is your project and no one else's. So you finish it when you can. I love checking in and seeing what's been done.

Just to clarify. I wasn't complaining. Sorry if it was taken that way. I just want to see this masterpeice once it is finished.

Everyone likes what you are doing, but I would like to thank you for posting progress pictures. Just the time it takes to take a picture, upload, post it on CEG and then make a description of it takes time, and as everyone knows, time is important. So, I would like to thank you for taking the time to post the pictures, specially on CEG, since some members crave and enjoy pictures more than anything. If I could request for more pictures, only if possible, that would be great.

No need to apologize. I don't take much in here seriously nor do I care much about it.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Oh, isn't getting a house ready for sale just fun? Took me about 9 years.

Yea, I've been debating about it for a while. But for my future plans I need the space.

Heat shields all installed. Starting to put in the rest of the exhaust.

All of this just highlights how bad I need a bigger garage and an adequate storage place for normal use items (push lawn mower, weed wacker, lawn tractor, snow blower, shovels, rakes, etc). I've been on the look out for another house, but I need to get the house we have now finished/cleaned up as well. This spring/summer has been just a mess.
They make this thing known as a "shed", maybe you should look into it. ;)

buy an abandoned warehouse, then build a nice loft apartment into the front/top of it and keep your shop underneath your house.

no more complaints about the lovely sound of a grinder at 2am, lol...

Well more BS with NPG's kit fitting. I swear all the crap I've had to do to make it fit is making me pissed. So much for a bolt on setup. Oh well. I've now got the wideband installed too.

Pipe is hitting the transmission and flange is hitting the heat shield below the shifter cables (even after I bent it in to touch the floor board). I put some heavy duty heat insulation around the A/C accumulator as the down pipe is touching it.

hkl7.jpg

1a01z.jpg

0t2t4.jpg
o2kb.jpg

njeh.jpg

itfh.jpg

797lz.jpg

zk2h.jpg

e60u.jpg

Still should be right after the turbo for the fastest and most accurate readings. I would not place it further than 12" behind the turbo. Not exactly sure where thats at in comparison

Still should be right after the turbo for the fastest and most accurate readings. I would not place it further than 12" behind the turbo. Not exactly sure where thats at in comparison

I know AEM recommends placing the sensor at least 36" from the exhaust port on a turbocharged car. that said, mine is located about 24" from the ports on my VR4 as thats where there was an open O2 bung from not having downstream sensors and pre-cats.

Placement of the sensor is really a function of temperature and nothing else. It needs to be far enough away from the turbo such that the temperatures are 750-800°F any hotter will cause damage to the sensor. If the temperature is lower than that range this may cause problems with condensation and higher duty cycles for the sensor's heater. The coatings I have on these pipes are going to help retain a lot of that heat too.

That said I may end up installing a port in the lower leg after the down pipe. However I'm not to excited about clearances up there, which is why the sensor is where it is. As it turns out this is the same spot I had it when I was running N/A. This made it quite nice for routing.

Last edited:
Back