• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Probably any misfire issues with cop converstions could be tuned out. I am sure the high rpm misfire happens from improper dwell (coil charge) settings in the tune. Different coils have different charge times if you swap on that is 2ms for 3ms per say its not going to its going to fire the new coil at 66% charge. Probably the biggest oversight I see in almost every cop conversion.

COP units fire half as frequently as their waste-spark counterparts. This means the coil has twice the allotted time to charge. Manufactures may leverage this and produce coils that actually charge slower. Slower [typically] means greater capacitance and therefore greater energy storage, and better spark. This is the advantage of going with individual coils. COP not only provides single spark, but eliminates the plug wires from the equation. the contour only has 3 coil drivers onboard the ECU (that are also meant to drive a smaller capacitive load!), so as previously mentioned, the only benefit you stand to gain from COP is no plug wires. However you stand to lose quite a bit in performance due to running coils at less than their full capacity at high RPM, and shortening their life. This is one of those things that needs to just go away, or be done right. if you want to do it, replace your ECU with something that can drive 6 discrete coils.

well, there are those coil on plugs that used to be used in a waste spark fashion with a jumper wire to another plug. those are designed to work on a (1/2X#cyl) system, right? just run 6 of them and not hook anything to the jumper wire? just throwing out something crazy since we're re-discussing the COP concept and actually looking at different coils...

well, there are those coil on plugs that used to be used in a waste spark fashion with a jumper wire to another plug. those are designed to work on a (1/2X#cyl) system, right? just run 6 of them and not hook anything to the jumper wire? just throwing out something crazy since we're re-discussing the COP concept and actually looking at different coils...

That would almost be as messy as running two factory coilpacks and only using half of each. Would you stick that into a build as awesome as #49's?

Why not just settle for the fact that there are only 3 coil drivers, and drive 3 coils with them?

I dunno, IMO #49 has enough mods since the last time it ran, that every ounce of Known-good-working-condition is precious.

I think the only way I will go to COP is if, or more likely when, I switch to run a megasquirt system. For the reasons that have already been discussed. For now I'm not looking into this further. My coil pack is installed with the wires running where they need to be.

I think the only way I will go to COP is if, or more likely when, I switch to run a megasquirt system. For the reasons that have already been discussed. For now I'm not looking into this further. My coil pack is installed with the wires running where they need to be.

yeah, this is basically what it came down to back when I was putting my engine in the coug. nobody has really put enough thought into it for it to be feasible without going to a just about stand alone management... way too much work just to get the coil pack out from the engine bay...

Figure its been a while and I should give an update. I wanted the last little bit of piping fab that I needed to do to be perfect since it was going to be highly visible. However to do that I really needed a notcher. Well I finally decided on the JMR Raceline TN300 unit. It seemed to be the best bang for the buck as far as features and quality. So with this tool I'll put the final touches on the inlet tube to the turbo with adding in a decent vacuum port and a port for my blowoff recir valve.

The other sweet deal with this notcher is I'll be able to make a top notch harness bar along with a more professional looking traction bar.
tn300.jpg

Yea got my notcher... although I went to use it and realized I didn't have a 2-1/2" hole saw doah. I did have a 2-1/4" and a 2-3/4" though haha go figure.

gpuo.jpg

59sb.jpg

5g1o.jpg

I know it's been a while since I've posted. Due to some issues that have sprung up around the house and in my life I just haven't had the time to work on the car. That said I give you the to do list...

wire up Autometer tach driver
wire up fuel pump controller
wire up fuel pump
seal fuel top hat to fuel tank and install lock ring
make bracket and install HKS boost controller
wire up HKS boost controller
fabricate new exhaust section from pre-cat back to muffler split
hook up wideband to new exhaust section
install pyrometer at rear header EGR port
re-install ECM
open up intake opening in driver inner fender
install remaining cold piping and filter
complete install of vacuum pump
install vacuum lines
re-install interior (a lot with this line item)
remove front knuckles and hub
install new wheel bearings in front knuckles
install new DSS stage 3.9 hubs
install new DSS stage 3.9 axles
re-install knuckle assembly
flash ECM with updated programming
milestone - test fire engine
look for leaks
drink beer
install remaining rear NPG bbk kit on driver side
re-install glass in all doors
re-install all components into doors
re-install fenders
re-install front bumper
re-install rear bumper
re-install side skirts
re-install hood
re-install trunk
milestone - test drive car
drink beer and grill out in driveway with fellow CEGer's
Bring car to DB Performance for final dyno tuning
finish paint work on car
finish traction bar prototype and install
build pre-98 CF trunk and install
design and build bolt in roll cage and supporting structure
milestone - enjoy car and show it off

Hopefully that's everything, can't really think of anything else for now. Wish me luck.

Back