• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

K first of all I have never seen cops burn out. And second of all I believe a friend that has a st 220 intake manifold with cops

K first of all I have never seen cops burn out. And second of all I believe a friend that has a st 220 intake manifold with cops

It could be done, just not with the updated valve covers. If you were to use the valve covers off of a Taurus and used the spacers that I have, which are designed for use with the later valve covers, then I could see it working. However in doing that you are not taking advantage of the new PCV layout, which I prefer over the center box cluster turd that is used on the Contique's and 4th gen Taurus/Sables.

However I will install COP's (since I have them) on my rear valve cover and then loosely place the ST220 UIM on and you will see the interference with the updated valve cover design.

K first of all I have never seen cops burn out.

You haven't been lookin', son.

2148517540a7703724353l_zps220f3b0c.jpg

Here are your clearance pics... or rather lack there of. Also in regards to COP's burning out I'm guessing it's because in pretty much every case I know of people that have switched to them are still running them as a wasted spark system, which is basically cutting the life of the COP in half.

6a0r.jpg
cyi5.jpg

1 hp on a dyno is a freaking joke. Ford Cop's burn out all the time OEM coil pack has proven it self extremely reliable.

When it comes to boost its not about the hp. Its about stronger spark and less blow out. My plugs in my Audi are gapped to like .025 to not blow out spark over 20 psi. Less loss of spark along the wires, less emi, ect.

And yeah for Ford cops are junk. I had 195,000 miles on my Audi's cops before I replaced them are they were still fine.

These are like .75 tall and could be made to work. Just saying, food for thought for anyone running a ST2200.

images

My wifes GTI takes that style COP. She has to replace between1-3 a year. Normally right after winter. Those VW units are awful. Read around the vortex forums. We stopped buying the VW cops and started buying the napa echlin units because of the warranty. Now we only pay for them once every 3 years or so.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Really funny is vw people ( vr6?) swap to our ford coil packs as upgrade.

All the thread hijack! Cop burnouts lolol

Here are your clearance pics... or rather lack there of. Also in regards to COP's burning out I'm guessing it's because in pretty much every case I know of people that have switched to them are still running them as a wasted spark system, which is basically cutting the life of the COP in half.

The pics you posted... are with the taller plastic LIM right (not the ST220 aluminum one)?

Our OEM coils are waste-spark, and last an order of magnitude longer than any COP unit I've dealt with. Of course, they are engineered for waste spark...

Really funny is vw people ( vr6?) swap to our ford coil packs as upgrade

IIRC, the 1.8t, 2.0t, 3.2, and 4.2 all use the same coils.

I may try to put some ford coils on my wife's GTI (1.8t), but I think there are clearance issues at cyl #1. I'll only swap coils if the DC resistance matches the OEM units though. I think that point is worth remembering: If you put a low impedance coil on a coildriver(PCM) that is designed for high impedance, you may cook your PCM. Granted, in our cars we have to put 2 coils in series for waste spark, so 2 low impedance coils in series may equate to one high impedance coil(if that is what our PCM even expects??).

Sorry if I beat a dead horse there. I can't remember all the details from this thread, and if such a discussion has already happened. I just worry when people start blindly plugging away at coils.

The pics you posted... are with the taller plastic LIM right (not the ST220 aluminum one)?

Our OEM coils are waste-spark, and last an order of magnitude longer than any COP unit I've dealt with. Of course, they are engineered for waste spark...

Yes, I'm running the 05 Escape plastic LIM.

I'm aware that the coil pack is a waste-spark system, but as you mentioned, it is therefore designed to be used as such. The COP units however, are not, hence the problems with running them as such.

I'd switch to a COP setup if there is an alternative COP that is robust enough to be run in a wasted spark system and clear the ST220 UIM with spacers. If someone knows of such a unit it I'm all ears, err eyes I guess ;)

Really funny is vw people ( vr6?) swap to our ford coil packs as upgrade.

All the thread hijack! Cop burnouts lolol

Yeah its the vr6. vr6 never came in an audi. Not cops, coilpack and yeah they are pretty notorious. 215+ pages who cares about a hijack hah.

I didn't know the red tops had a high failure rate. I have the Beru cop's. they are pretty much indestructible. In retorspect those wouldn't even work anyways, because that style has a built in ignitor ( the transistor, which is probably what actually fails 99.99% of the time not the coil circuit itself).

My point is there are plenty of options. And cop is just preferable for boost setups. AEM makes pencil COPs that are popular and reliable and would easily clear and be exactly what is needed. Also designed for CDI, some coil's don't like holding up to CDIs. When I was running a grand national coilpack and CDI ignition on the contour the coilpacks would last like 200 hours of runtime.
http://www.aemelectronics.com/ignition-components-18/cdi-pencil-coils-20/

I run my COPs as wasted spark, no problems yet...~35k miles on the megasquirt setup so far as is. Lots of people have done it.

So the AEM pencil COP's will be the correct length and will drop in with the schematic that is floating around in the how-to forum?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Yes, I'm running the 05 Escape plastic LIM.

I'm aware that the coil pack is a waste-spark system, but as you mentioned, it is therefore designed to be used as such. The COP units however, are not, hence the problems with running them as such.

I'd switch to a COP setup if there is an alternative COP that is robust enough to be run in a wasted spark system and clear the ST220 UIM with spacers. If someone knows of such a unit it I'm all ears, err eyes I guess ;)

300M COP units. Im using them on my VR4 in wasted spark setup running about 18PSI of boost with plugs gapped to .032". they are a 2 wire coil, like the ford units, so wiring them up is easy. they are fairly low profile and should clear the manifold (they clear mine after removing the EGR runner and there is less clearance). You can pick some up at the JY off almost any Chrysler 2.7 or 3.5 V6 for cheap to test their clearance (there are 2 different mounting bolt layouts but the coils are the same).

Striker would it be possible to give me the dimensions off that 300M COP? Specifically the dimension associated with the coil height and width from the top of the boot and up?

Yeah I can do that, though it might be a few days with the freeze that is coming through tonight/tomorrow.

Yeah I can do that, though it might be a few days with the freeze that is coming through tonight/tomorrow.

Hahaha Freeze....

tomorrow's forecast...

Louisville, KY --- High 4°F, Low -3°F versus Minneapolis, MN --- High -13°, Low -21°F

That's ambient too. You factor in windchill and I'm sitting at something close to -50°F.

Back