• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

i made a coil bracket that mounts straight off of the valve cover bolts and it works out just fine, didnt need to raise it up at all. i cant tell if you have any hoses or what not under yours to see if it would work the same

I have A/C lines directly underneath the bracket. However I think I can push the one to the side. The only one I have to worry about is the hardline with the valve, which sticks straight up.

I mounted my coil pack in the factory location under the ST220. I do have to remove the intake mani to get to it but my wires look much cleaner than mounting it up front.

Yea I'm running the same valve covers as you, although my car has the newer 01-02 style coil pack which is a hair smaller. I thought I had some pics somewhere but I just looked and couldnt find anything, I just fabricated a bracket that bolts to the valve cover and puts the coil pack between the firewall and the valve cover.

I could potentially fit it back there... But I've got my FPR right there as well and the vacuum line routing. Might be worth another look though.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

My coil pack was mounted on the firewall as well. Simplified a lot of things, only issue was if I wanted to remove it, I had to take wiper cowl off to access the bolts. I personally thought it was a nice, cleaned up look....but if your FPR is back there, you are right, there might not be enough space.

^Yeah^. Cops are easy, cleaner, better spark, less emi. Im surprised you didnt go straight for cops. And its that an Accel coilpack? I would only go MSD or oem. Accel is horrible.

Didn't know that either. Surprised no one has made some work yet. Red top Audi cops would be one to look at from the later engines. They are really flush, about an inch high or less. I can't see those ones being any higher than the factory plug wires.

I've had no problems with Accel products in the past. In addition I'm running the Accel coil pack off of an MSD DIS-4 box too. I can't mount the coil pack in the cowl either as that is where my Accusump resides. I tell you with everything I'm putting in this car I'm finding it harder and harder to mount things in the engine bay. I have no free space. I still need to mount my HKS boost controller in there too.

I would be running COPs as well if they cleared the ST220. I read a thread on NECO long time ago where one of the race teams tested power output on the dyno between the ford racing plug wires and the factory plain jane plug wires and guess which ones made 1hp more?

1 hp on a dyno is a freaking joke. Ford Cop's burn out all the time OEM coil pack has proven it self extremely reliable.

I'm aware 1hp on a dyno is a joke, my point is that the wires that come factory on our cars performed just as good or better than aftermarket stuff.

Back