• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Plasma cutter rocks...

vq86.jpg
ym2w.jpg

53ee.jpg

v2tm.jpg

Well things just continue to drag on...

Got the wastegate a few days ago, but when assembling it to the NPG piping it's a mess. I got it to bolt together, but the alignment for the turbo housing is off. This offset can be taken up (just barely) by the flex pipe that is welded on the downpipe. However there is no way that the downpipe is going to seal to the turbo without a gasket. So I've ordered two stainless steel downpipe 4 bolt 2.5" ID gaskets from an outfit in MI. Hoping to see them by tomorrow or Thurs. After that I'm crossing my fingers that I can put the exhaust and heat sheilds back in the car.

So far I would not recommend buying the NPG turbo kit. There has been way to many issues with fitment for them to be mass producing it. If I were to start this project over again I would be welding up my own turbo piping.

Welcome to my world. My son ( bhiggs89 on here ) bought the first kit, not even close to fitting. We sent it back and *only* 6 months later it came back. Better but still not able to actually connect it all up. Sad actually. We look forward to seeing how you get it to work.

Mine was the older stainless design that does fit without too many complications.

I've built like 5 turbo kits for the contour and never had a problem i daily drive mine on 10 psi with a ball bearing turbo and its spooles like all he11

Welcome to my world. My son ( bhiggs89 on here ) bought the first kit, not even close to fitting. We sent it back and *only* 6 months later it came back. Better but still not able to actually connect it all up. Sad actually. We look forward to seeing how you get it to work.

Mine was the older stainless design that does fit without too many complications.

Mine actually is the older all stainless design as well. I bought the kit a long, long time ago. As one can tell by the length of this thread.

I've built like 5 turbo kits for the contour and never had a problem i daily drive mine on 10 psi with a ball bearing turbo and its spooles like all he11

Building a Contour to handle a turbo is not the problem. It is using the off the shelf kit from NPG that is the issue here.

Last edited:
Cut it up modify and weld it back up. I built a 3" exhaust for a guys mazda and he had nothing but problems with the NPG y-pipe. Both inlets and the outlet neveer matched up.

Cut it up modify and weld it back up. I built a 3" exhaust for a guys mazda and he had nothing but problems with the NPG y-pipe. Both inlets and the outlet neveer matched up.

Yup, that is exactly what I'm doing where I need to. However I'm hoping to make the y-pipe and downpipe work because I already dropped some decent cash on having them JetHot coated with their extreme 2500 coating. If I cut it... it's fubar'd.

Yup, that is exactly what I'm doing where I need to. However I'm hoping to make the y-pipe and downpipe work because I already dropped some decent cash on having them JetHot coated with their extreme 2500 coating. If I cut it... it's fubar'd.

Puttin' the cart before the horse again, eh? :laugh:

Well here is the updated inlet pipe for the 3L UIM. It's going to be tight when the turbo is installed, but it'll fit.

03cf.jpg
7biy.jpg

5bn9.jpg
8xoz.jpg

Finally got the y-pipe and downpipe assembled with my Tial F38 wastegate. Pretty pissed about it too. Took a great deal of patience... and two busted bolts, one that snapped off in the wastegate threaded hole, which I had to drill and beat out the bolt. After which I retapped to clean it out. All because NPG's damn piping wouldn't line up.

Anyhow hope it all bolts into the car and works out. Still not sure about the wastegate install though. The piping was so crappy that the wastegate housing is sitting right on the down pipe. At least it is after the flex joint so it should be cooler, but still too hot for my liking.

pw7o.jpg

ziyc.jpg

i2zo.jpg

That wastegate position is normal for that kit.

I feel your pain, I ordered the new kit, had to send it back twice, took more than a year, and still doesn't fit.

If I were you, I would think about re-doing all the cold side piping to make it the same size. It always bothered me how many times the piping would decrease in size, I would think that would be a major restriction at the power levels you are trying to achieve.

They most likely did it because of the loss of pressure. I bet they couldn't create decent boost with piping all sized on the large side. I'll see how things go as is before I start redesigning everything.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Hmm. You have a flex in ur downpipe? Mine doesn't. Looks like yours was all redesigned too. The y-pipe & downpipe are one piece. And i think that's your biggest problem. Mine are separated. So the y-pipe has the ability to flex due to the flex joint further back in the exhaust stream. Then again, i've got like the 2nd or 3rd kit npg made. And i like many of you had fitment issues as well. But was minute.

What if we shimmed or added a spacer to the wg flange.. 3/8 - 1/2 would that create enough clearance beyond the tubes?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

What if we shimmed or added a spacer to the wg flange.. 3/8 - 1/2 would that create enough clearance beyond the tubes?

You may end up having no clearance between the subframe and the exhaust if you do. It is a very tight fit down there. Mine touches the subframe now.

The Tial MVS is quite a bit smaller than that gate. If you have to cut stuff up anyways I would get that it would give you more clearance on both sides. It would suck to cut that up after you got it coated but only a small portion of it would not be coated where you have to get rid of it to weld.

Got ya. Just trying not to ruin the coating. So really the angle of the wg flange is off due to its size and needs to be clocked and angled differently? So really we need to make a small extension/relocation tube and flange?

Back