• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

#49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

I suppose I could, but then a portion of the intake will be permanently be attached to the frame. The tube I'm referring to also necks down in size. I believe it goes from 1.5" to 2.5? Can't remember off the top of my head. So if I did weld a tube there I would have to pick up a reducing 90° elbow. In addition to that I'm not too stoked about have a steel tube that can rust in my intake track

Look into exhaust reducing horns for exhaust. I believe flowmaster made the ones I've used and they're great. A little paint, or even cold galvanizing compound should leave you with no rust worries.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Hooker-Headers/520/11125/10002/-1?parentProductId=744791

Something along these lines.

Just some pics I snapped tonight as I was cleaning up the bracket getting it ready for paint.

zt35.jpg

chopped up Mondeo TB bracket and SVT TB bracket

fjog.jpg

Bracket mockup

rrka.jpg

TB

j1ay.jpg

Last edited:
Boom, It's official. Now I just need to start labeling all these parts I've been building ;)

msob.jpg

Should have some more pics of progress by middle of next week.

Time doesn't appear to be on your side to get it done before the snow flies! At least that would give you more than enough time to get it done by spring time.

I'm not down for the count yet. I was sick the last week so I haven't really progressed a ton lately. Every weekend seems to have something else going on too. I haven't had a weekend to myself for about a month now.

I have a bachelor party in a few hours so today and part of tomorrow will be out for working on the car. I did go out and buy material to weld up a tube into the opening I cut in the frame rail for the intercooler tubing. It's going to work out pretty dang nicely. I need to uninstall a few things to get access to weld the tube on the engine bay side. The wheel well side is free and clear.

I got this to cut out the brackets for my traction bar setup...

sy5r.jpg

cy3h.jpg

Last edited:
I eagerly anticipate these traction bars of yours. If it works, i'll be in line for the first batch you're remaking. Cuz i would hate for this masterpiece you're creating to become another pretty 13/14 second turbo'd tour...

I eagerly anticipate these traction bars of yours. If it works, i'll be in line for the first batch you're remaking. Cuz i would hate for this masterpiece you're creating to become another pretty 13/14 second turbo'd tour...

It'll work. I've done my due diligence. The design is solid. I may have to get another die for my tube bender though as the last piece of the puzzle needs some tight bends. For my prototype I'm just going to cut and weld pie cuts to get my bends though. The dies are like $300 a piece... so yea.

It'll work. I've done my due diligence. The design is solid. I may have to get another die for my tube bender though as the last piece of the puzzle needs some tight bends. For my prototype I'm just going to cut and weld pie cuts to get my bends though. The dies are like $300 a piece... so yea.

Figured as much. You seem like the thorough type. Wow. i hope the bars won't cost that much when you sell them;)

Tube is now welded into the hole I cut in the frame rail for the intercooler piping. Picking up some more rubberized chassis undercoating after work today to touch everthing up. Not sure what I want to do on the engine bay side since it was already painted. Right now I think I'm just going to mask off, primer, and top coat it with some rubberized chassis undercoat rather than coming back and painting it with the HOK TruBlue. It's not like it will be visible when looking in anyway with the wrap I'll be putting on.

I'll be cutting and welding the intercooler pipe to fit my ST220 UIM tonight so stay tuned for pics.

Well instead of welding the tube I ended up primering and seam sealing the tube in the frame rail. I forgot to take pics of the welded sections. However you can imagine it. I couldn't get the torch on the top of the tube in the fender well and I couldn't get to the bottom of the tube on the engine bay side. This is why I chose to go over everything with a seam sealer. I'll be going over this tomorrow with a rubberized undercoating.

wixk.jpg
9pye.jpg

vamx.jpg
zj9y.jpg

Last edited:
Well after much discussion wtih Tial Sports I ended up purchasing a new wastegate. I went with the Tial F38 with a .5bar spring. This will provide a more robust solution for my HKS EVC 6 progressive boost controller setup, For those interested I'll be selling off the knock of one that comes with the NPG kits. It is the same one that can be found at the CX Racing website. Only exception is mine has multiple springs rather than just the one.

As for the questions for Tial I was specifically curious about how they spec their springs. They have to make some assumptions as everyones back pressure in their exhaust will be different. To this the tech guy responded...

"Our spring specs are kind of a "middle of the road" rating that the average setup would hit. So if the spring says it is set for 10.15 psi, you might hit somewhere in that ballpark +/- maybe 2 psi. If you're setup can not handle more then say 15 psi, and you want 13psi, then we would suggest going with a lighter spring like an 8 psi and if that sets you at 10psi, you wont be hitting near the max boost tolerance. From there, you would need to use a boost controller and set it up to your goal."

Last edited:
Did you talk about your throttle body selection at some point? I don't recall seeing it, and it isn't listed/linked on page 1. Curious to read your thought process after seeing your comments on the 65MM Mustang modification Harry worked on.

EDIT: Going through the whole thread page by page, to make sure I didn't just miss it at some point. 4 years and 200 pages is a lot to remember. Page 122 and counting...

EDIT 2: Looks like the throttle body is first mentioned on page 146. No discussion though of why the BBK unit...

BBK 75mm as received doesn't need to be modified. The throttle linkage is setup correctly to begin with thanks to the F-150 setup. The 75mm TB will also support my power goals without any problems.

Thanks for the heads up about the table of contents on the first page. I've since updated it for the TB.

EDIT: Going through the whole thread page by page, to make sure I didn't just miss it at some point. 4 years and 200 pages is a lot to remember. Page 122 and counting...

You should change your profile settings to allow 40 posts. I only have 50 pages to sift through.

Last edited:
Well things just continue to drag on...

Got the wastegate a few days ago, but when assembling it to the NPG piping it's a mess. I got it to bolt together, but the alignment for the turbo housing is off. This offset can be taken up (just barely) by the flex pipe that is welded on the downpipe. However there is no way that the downpipe is going to seal to the turbo without a gasket. So I've ordered two stainless steel downpipe 4 bolt 2.5" ID gaskets from an outfit in MI. Hoping to see them by tomorrow or Thurs. After that I'm crossing my fingers that I can put the exhaust and heat sheilds back in the car.

So far I would not recommend buying the NPG turbo kit. There has been way to many issues with fitment for them to be mass producing it. If I were to start this project over again I would be welding up my own turbo piping.

Back