• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Headlight Work

Status
Not open for further replies.

cobrawannabe

Addicted CEG'er
Hey guys!

This one is good to go, I can start tommorow with it. I am offering headlight restoring/ customizing, in order to fill in the void that Bagged has left behind. There is no way that I could work at the capasity that he did for awhile; but I'm sure I can work rather quickly. DON'T EXPECT TOO MUCH. There will probably be a waiting list. I am ONE PERSON.Here's my rates...

-Restoring:
I start with either an 850 or 1000-grit, and work up to 1500 and finally 2000-grit.
The price will depend on the lights, and I will charge $60 to do this. Don't forget your fogs!

-Hightowers:
$75 if I recieve them disassembled, $100 if they are assembled on arrival.

-Both
Hightower rates still apply, vut restoration price is 50%

-Anything Else
You name it, I'll give a price if I can do it.
:cool:

EDIT:

-I will only be doing OEM Ford lights.
-If you send me headlights that are taken apart, THEY MUST BE WITHOUT DAMAGE. I will not make structural repairs.
-I will be making a dump run this weekend, so pics will come soon. I'll put up pics of the lights I restored on my car soon.

Here are the before/afters from my car. Mind you, it is 12 years old, and has 165,000. This was done start-to-finish with 200-grit sandpaper, and they have not been cleared since completion
Before
NewContourPic7.jpg

NewContourPic4.jpg

After
attachment.php

0713081138.jpg

I'm very interested, but I'd like to see some pictures of your work.

Ditto, interested but also would like to see some pictures of your work. If you don't have any pictures I could send you my headlights and you could do them up for free or discounted, ya know, just to get some pics:crazy:

Any headlight? OEM, Eagle Eyes and Depo?

cobrawannabe think long and hard about your pricing for DEPO lights (I've never messed with Eagle Eye headlights so I can't comment on them)... if you haven't done one before they take a lot more effort and time to bake apart to paint the inside. The adhesive they use is very hard to remove and they use a lot of it when assemblying the lights. I did TRicker's headlights a while back and it was a major PITA and I've done my fair share of work with these headlights so I am by no means an amateur. Just my two cents...

On another note you must have a ton of patience to take this GB on...

You guys will be getting one hell of a deal with these rates.

just a tip, hourly fees are kinda... bland, I think you would be better off finding a set price to tell people... better for you too, because if you clear a set of lights in an hour, and make $100 off of it, awesome. you made out like a bandit, kinda sucks to clear a set of headlights for $10, almost not worth your time.

People dont want to wonder how much their lights are going to cost, they want to know right off the bad BEFORE they send them to you.

This is true. I don't want to send my lights to you, have them set in your garage for a few days, then you spend a couple hours on them and charge me $60... How do I know that it took you 6 hours labor? I'd feel much better with a flat rate, too.

Good luck, though.. the people of CEG need this done a lot! lol

Well, the hightowering service might be a handy service for some people out there, but restoring headlights? People actually pay for this???

I agree about the per hour thing though. That could lead to potential customers finding out they paid more/less and being very angry. Better to find a flat rate.

Well, the hightowering service might be a handy service for some people out there, but restoring headlights? People actually pay for this???

for the price of a new pair nowadays, why screw w/ the old ones :shrug:

good prices on the hightowering, I'm sure you'll get some hits

Not sure which way you are going with that statement Patty. I did mine and they look great. Didn't take me all that long either. :shrug:

I mean paying for shipping & someone to polish them for you seems silly to me, especially when it's about $100 for new ones - nothing against doing it yourself.

I did an old set myself that turned out great...the current set on the new car are crazed & no amount of polishing can remove the cracks, which is another thing to take into consideration when paying someone else to do this kind of work - some might think the cracks will be taken care of too

I mean paying for shipping & someone to polish them for you seems silly to me, especially when it's about $100 for new ones - nothing against doing it yourself.

I did an old set myself that turned out great...the current set on the new car are crazed & no amount of polishing can remove the cracks, which is another thing to take into consideration when paying someone else to do this kind of work - some might think the cracks will be taken care of too

Right, that is where I thought you were going, just did not want to assume anything. And as for cracks, well if you got those, than you really might as well just buy new ones.

not really cracks, but crazing...kinda like this

crazing.jpg

you can only see them when the sun is shining perfectly...the are very hard to see if the lights are very yellowed & hazy, which is the only precaution when sending them out to be polished. I picked up new lights for mine because of this.

I've met Cobrawannabe, and expect that he'd work hard and do a quality job on any lights sent to him.

As an aside, it seems that it's hard to offer a service 'round here without some folks whining and complaining about something in short order. Perhaps it's the internet -- people may well be inclined to say things over a computer that they wouldn't in person. Constructive criticism is one thing, but why does it often seem to me that people grouse just to run their mouths (or their keyboards, as the case may be)? Seems that if you like the service and the price, pony up and pay for it. If you don't, then there's no need for a comment that takes away from someone's positive efforts. I'm sure we're all thick-skinned enough to handle people's opinions in general, but sometimes silence is golden.

i've met michael jackson but i wouldn't let my kids sleep over at his house...j/k it sounds like a pretty good deal to me...lights not kids

I agree with this, if you are going to pay to ship your lights to someone to clear them and not get hightowers made, kinda a waste of money (I will be honest), you are better off finding a set of Aftermarket lights.

but if you are bored, your headlights are yellowed, and you know how to clear a set of lights super well, its worth the time and $20 in materials to do it yourself in your garage.

n30315915_33340492_3217.jpg

these headlights were hazed to hell, BRIGHT yellow, using bagged's new patented restore process, they look nearly brand new again.

crazed & no amount of polishing can remove the cracks, which is another thing to take into consideration when paying someone else to do this kind of work - some might think the cracks will be taken care of too

exactly

these headlights were hazed to hell, BRIGHT yellow, using bagged's new patented restore process, they look nearly brand new again.

Scott has a patent?

Jared, and anyone else who warned me....
THANK YOU!
Logger and Patty...
I think my restoration is a pretty good deal.:shrug:

Never said it wasn't, don't get me wrong. The hightowering I'd pay for myself since I don't really want to bake my own headlights - or paint them, rather have someone with experience do that. What my point was, is that I don't know why someone would go to all the trouble of shipping, waiting, and paying to have someone else sand their headlights when they could do it themselves. :shrug:

I've met Cobrawannabe, and expect that he'd work hard and do a qualityplaining about something in short order. Perhaps it's the internet -- people may well be inclined to say things over a computer that they would job on any lights sent to him.

As an aside, it seems that it's hard to offer a service 'round here without some folks whining and comn't in person. Constructive criticism is one thing, but why does it often seem to me that people grouse just to run their mouths (or their keyboards, as the case may be)? Seems that if you like the service and the price, pony up and pay for it. If you don't, then there's no need for a comment that takes away from someone's positive efforts. I'm sure we're all thick-skinned enough to handle people's opinions in general, but sometimes silence is golden.

Let me repeat, I never said it wasn't a bad service. It was more of a discussion of people paying for something like that. If me and him were at a bar and he told me of this idea, I'd say the same thing - to his face. Basically it means you could do it if you want, all the more power to ya, but be aware that you might not make a great deal of money and may actually have to deal with a bunch of BS from dissatisfied people.

Enough cluttering this up from me though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back