• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Better sunroof gear replacement

pipedsvt

CEG'er
So my plastic sunroof gear stripped out the other day and I was looking at it and was just amazed how crappy its made. I browsed the internet a bit to try to find a better gear and came across this:

http://www.sunroofgears.com/index.htm

Has anyone used or bought one of these gears? If so, how does it work out?

i bought one of these off of ebay. it stripped out in about a month but im guessing i just didnt install it correctly. the tell you how and they say that if you dont do something a specific way it will strip. ill look for the old instructions tomorrow

It's just plastic

It's just plastic

So they sell you this $1 part for $55 and warranty it for life. When it strips again they send you a new one *IF* you bother to send it back to them and not just forget about it or give up on it. Basilly metal spline will always strip out plastic gears. It's just a crappy design.. maybe if it where thick teeth instead of fine teeth it might work longer..

I am working on a different approach using liquid steel to bypass the fact it's metal splines against plastic teeth. Basic concept is square off the metal post driving the sunroof with a file, no more splines, just a square rod. Then bore out and square off the stripped gear area then fill the hole with liquid steel type material, jb weld maybe like that. It should form a block that drives the sunroof. When it hardens. it should work better than having metal mesh up with plastic.. Will provide pixs when I get it done sometime this month.. So the idea is to convert from round metal spline in plastic to a square metal post in a squared hole..

I would not spend 55 bucks on this thing unless it where cast in metal..

I could look into doing something like that.... maybe - I do need one on my 98.5 SF yet :ponder:.

i just replaced mine, bought from a guy on the forums, thankfully he was kind enough to send 2! cause mine is starting to stip again.... Someone please make a good one!!

I want someone to make a crank for the sunroof. I drove this sweet little thing in Mexico with a nice smooth crank that folded into the dome light.

Those gears need to be steel or a material that can withstand the torque from the worm gear without stripping out.

What happens when the plastic gear strips because my sunroof starts buzzing and won't open. Is this because the gears are stripped or I need a new motor.

When the gear strips the motor runs but it doesnt transfer to the shaft. Sounds like time for a new gear.

I want someone to make a crank for the sunroof. I drove this sweet little thing in Mexico with a nice smooth crank that folded into the dome light.

lol I had to deal with a crank open sunroof lol, on my 1st car my XR4ti for sure, and so does hotdimes lol, I could open and close that thing so fast lol

lol I had to deal with a crank open sunroof lol, on my 1st car my XR4ti for sure, and so does hotdimes lol, I could open and close that thing so fast lol

I rented a nice Focus down in south america with a crank sunroof I loved. I wish Ford added the option for a manual "emergency" crank to open and close the moonroof. I loved having that option even though I never had to use it on either car.

Back