• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Which motor oil to use

From the little i know about turbos, 15W-30 would prob be one of your best bets. i would have thought 40 to be a little much, but since doyle has experience with it, sure

You may have a hard time finding a 15w30. They do make a HDEO in 10w30 but its not always as easy to find.

okay. so lets say you drive 15,000 miles a year which is fairly average i guess. so thats three oil changes with standard oil. ill use the same situation i used earlier to do this.(5 qts at $3 a qt with $5 filter) it comes out to $60. Amsoil comes out to $61. I would much rather spend the 1 or 2 bucks extra for a better oil and it makes it more simple when you have to do it once that year as opposed to 3 times.

IDK where you get $10 for an oil change at a chain. http://www.hoffman-development.com/content/jiffy-lube-8.cfm?killnav=1... thats with out coupons of course... but no where near 10 bucks. and way more than going with Amsoil and doing it yourself.
http://www.monro.com/Albany/Albany-oil-change.html?gclid=CKem_oCGn5gCFQikHgodBFlBlg... again.. a limited time coupon with at 2.25 recycling fee... so it somes to $21.25...then time that by 3. so thats close to amsoil... but a much muhc lower grade oil.

You're using funky math again though. I said they offer the oil change special yearly at autozone for $7.99 (last year it was Mobil Drive Clean 5000 and an STP filter) and the $10 came up because you'd need a 6th quart for the Contour. So on a 5 quart car you're talking $26 a year with tax (3 oil changes) with a great SL grade oil. Of course down here there is no fee for oil or oil filter drop off tacked on so for me that doesnt apply.

Either exceed the need so far that you should find something else to loose sleep over. You really don't need anything better than Motorcraft semi synthetic 5W30 (or even 5W20).

I'd second Big Jim's vote here. My Mystique has run Motorcraft 5W30 (and Motorcraft filters) all its life, and at 270,000 miles on the engine, I don't think any full synthetic oil could have done better. I used to change every 3,000 miles but I've upped that to every 5,000 miles. I use about one quart of oil in that 5,000 interval. I had my oil pan replaced at 240,000 miles due to a stripped drain bolt, and the service tech said the inside of the old oil pan was "clean as a whistle".

i have to agree with demon here but i have been a mobil 1 fan and regualar customer since the 80's and wouldn't change if you paid me

pull out moly with a magnet?

Certainly. Moly is still a metal even though they make dissolve in the oil.
Doubtful, very doubtful.

Pure Molybdenum metal has a magnetic permeability of 1.000089

Moly tri-Sulphide (MoS3) has a magnetic permeability of essentially 1.0 (It's actually a bit less than one, so we call it diamagnetic.)

For comparison, vacuum (free space) has a permeability of 1. Can we agree that free space is non-magnetic? Any material with a magnetic permeability of 1 is said to be non-magnetic, which includes metals like Copper, Gold, Tungsten and... Molybdenum.

Iron, which is ferromagnetic, depending on alloying and annealing state can have magnetic permeability of 150 to >10,000.

You have about as much chance of catching Molybdenum on a magnet as you would Oxygen from the atmosphere.

Carry on.

Doubtful, very doubtful.

You may be on to something as I've never seen numbers for it anywhere. Needless to say the stuff you pull off a filter magnet or oil drain plug magnet is not anything that would measurably wear out an engine and certainly wont be shavings unless you were really nasty to the car. Maybe its the Zinc that shows up as gunk on the magnet.

Back