• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Mysterious Zetec unconnected wire harness

yup in me experience earlier on alot of contours could have wiring for things they do not have. i do seem to recall some members being able to add fog lamps by installing the lights and the correct headlight switch, maybe had to add the relay also since all the wiring was there already. it is seen alot less in the new models.

yup in me experience earlier on alot of contours could have wiring for things they do not have. i do seem to recall some members being able to add fog lamps by installing the lights and the correct headlight switch, maybe had to add the relay also since all the wiring was there already. it is seen alot less in the new models.

yeah the newer models are pretty close to the same... why you ask? i have a theory.... maybe they finally figured out that instead of leaving the harness with open connectors they can 'swap' the connector for multiple options depending on the car.. as seen in newer chevys... a few connectors work on multiple options with them... could be?

again from what I have seen with these cars the cannectors and harness locations are all specific for what they connect to. not to say that the same connector isn't used in different locations but they are not interchangeable depending on what is there to be plugged into or not.

again from what I have seen with these cars the cannectors and harness locations are all specific for what they connect to. not to say that the same connector isn't used in different locations but they are not interchangeable depending on what is there to be plugged into or not.

i was speaking more or less about newer cars not so much the tours

LOL here we speak tour.......:cool:
And Tour harnesses it seems are a mixed bag more or less depending which harness the assembler grabbed at the time. Some have additional connectors and others do not. My 95 GL had the lighted entry group in it and courtsey light package, but no fog lights for example. Some guys had harnesses with fog light connectors and added them as mentioned by plug n play others had the same thing with power drivers seat, etc. There is no particular way to determine if something you are adding will work or not till you try. Then don't forget to see if the fuse is in place and that it is actually working. For example I added a power seat and to do that and other things I had to change the body wiring harness. Everything was in place and as a last item I stuck in the fuse....... no power! Then I changed the under dash fuse box (which I had gotten just in case) and everything worked. Now figure that one out! the harness was plugged into the box and everything should have worked but it didn't no power through that original fuse box even with the fuse in place..... so there are many things that may allow or not the operation of an accessory even if the connectors are there for it. With Tours & Stiques it is nothing more than a crap shoot.

AF

well stated, very much i think this is the case... except for the fact they cannot be that random with the harness or otherwise a car might come with fogs that do not work because the guy just randomly grabs harness' in most aspects its more that they may have to make a 'quota'' of certain options and when its met instead of digging for different they may just use up what they have during that time frame.. i would think along them lines..

you can also tell by checking to see if there are connections in the relay sockets. If you have no contacts...then the wiring isn't there either... G.

Ditto the above. My GL has everything for fog lamps except the fog lamp bulb connectors. The whole harness is there and with a new headlamp switch and relay, I have fog-light indication on my dash, now I just have to run power from the harness connector to the actual fog lamps. An odd situation, having the coolant bottle sensor harness and no coolant bottle sensor.

Back