• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

fixing rust problem

svtd00d

CEG'er
my csvt is rusting above the rear wheels, one side is far worse than the other. i thought i did a good job the first time when i scraped most of the rust out with a wire brush, filled in the hole with bondo and then matched the paint back up (sorta), but it rusted through again!

Is it rusting again because i didnt clean it out good enough? because it went back to looking like crap in under a year and ive had it for 8. so i know it went faster this time.

i thought that if you sealed the metal enough, there wouldnt be water to oxidize and rust it again.

I do believe in rust repair you need to get into the panel and remove some "good" metal past where the rust is to make a more effective repair.

rust%20problem.JPG

this isnt nearly as bad as the other side, but its like how do you even chop that out ya know?

This isn't what you wanted to hear, but there isn't any viable way of fixing it. I've tried cutting it out, bondo, por-15, etc., and the rust always comes back in the same place. Unfortunately it's just a fact of life. All you can do is patch it and wait for it to come back.

Oh and holy crap, what's with your control arm?!!!!!? How is your rear wheel not sideways with that thing bent so bad. Have you considered, you know... fixing it?

Oh and holy crap, what's with your control arm?!!!!!? How is your rear wheel not sideways with that thing bent so bad. Have you considered, you know... fixing it?

haha. funny you mention that, that was actually the reason the photo was taken. Last winter i hit a deer and veered into a forest. I was so angry and I didnt care what i hooked it up to when i was dragging it out. gosh did the car 'dog trail' i think is what they called it. where it looks like the car is driving sideways even though its not ;). it's all good and fixed now.

Back