• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Front struts and springs

SVTCANUK

CEG'er
I'm looking to replace my front struts and springs. I was looking on a couple of websites and they list two different OE part numbers for the struts, AST146 (3U2Z 18124 JA) and ASTV4 (5U2Z 18V124 D). Does anyone know the difference between the two?

I'm looking to replace my front struts and springs. I was looking on a couple of websites and they list two different OE part numbers for the struts, AST146 (3U2Z 18124 JA) and ASTV4 (5U2Z 18V124 D). Does anyone know the difference between the two?

I don't mean to be rude, but why do you want to stay with the oem struts? When you could possibly upgrade the front struts for just a few more dollars.

I believe those numbers distinguish the difference between the regular se struts and the svt struts.

Exactly. Dont bother with those when you can get the BAT set and be sure they wont go out a few months later because they weren't quality parts.

I don't mean to be rude, but why do you want to stay with the oem struts? When you could possibly upgrade the front struts for just a few more dollars.

I believe those numbers distinguish the difference between the regular se struts and the svt struts.

I thought the SVT struts were discontinued... and now the Ford parts books just call out one strut?

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L CNG DOHC VIN Z SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour L4-122 2.0L DOHC VIN 3 SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual Trans - F5RZ5310G
Front Auto Trans - F5RZ5310D
Rear - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L DOHC VIN L SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

1999 Ford Contour V6-153 2.5L VIN G (24 Valve) SFI
Struts
Front - 3U2Z18124AB
Rear - F8RZ18125AA
Springs
Front Manual - F5RZ5310H
Front Auto - F5RZ5310E
Rear Standard Edition - F5RZ5560D
Rear Sport Edition - F5RZ5560D

Unless it is incorretcly labled i don't see the second one you posted.

The reason I'm looking at OE stuff is because I had the BAT Euro Kit on my car. In less than 4 years and not a lot of miles the front springs had rusted right through and both of them snapped, the rear springs were very badly rusted and didn't have a speck of paint left on them, all 4 struts are blown and need to be replaced. I replaced the springs with the stock ones but don't have the struts anymore. I don't race my car and anyone that knows me knows how well I take care of it. I can't believe how quickly the BAT kit failed, they sent me replacement springs for 1/2 price but I am reluctant to put them back on for obvious reasons, now I need struts.

What was the part # you used for your friends SVT struts all the ones you listed above have the same part # for the front struts.

I have no idea. i told my brother to get him, and my buddy picked him up from him. So i kinda have no idea, i called him today and he has no idea, he can't find the receipt and he threw out the boxes:blackeye:.

If you give me some time i can have my brother send me some info next week.:shrug:

The reason I'm looking at OE stuff is because I had the BAT Euro Kit on my car. In less than 4 years and not a lot of miles the front springs had rusted right through and both of them snapped, the rear springs were very badly rusted and didn't have a speck of paint left on them, all 4 struts are blown and need to be replaced. I replaced the springs with the stock ones but don't have the struts anymore. I don't race my car and anyone that knows me knows how well I take care of it. I can't believe how quickly the BAT kit failed, they sent me replacement springs for 1/2 price but I am reluctant to put them back on for obvious reasons, now I need struts.

I hear nothing but bad things about bat springs and struts

Back