• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Check Engine Light

Fordwerke

CEG'er
Hi, last week the check engine light came on. Since it has mostly something to do with the emissions, i did not immediately check it. When I finally went to an Autozone-alike here in Miami to ask if they do the checking, they refered me to an Autozone for it. The irony is, when I got out of the shop, and started the car, the check engine light was gone.

Now I wonder if it makes sense to still go to Autozone and have the thing read out. If the light is off, is the info gone too? So shall I wait till the light gets on again, or is whatever was malfunctioning still stored somewhere in the car's brain?

Muchas Gracias!

They will not check it, normally, without a light on it.. something about "oh its against policy"..

maybe you can sweet talk them in to it.. yes, there will still be a pending code if the light is about to trigger again.

for a lot of people you will get a check engine light for Evaporative Emission control leaks, and this is usually caused by your gas cap not being tight. That is probably what happened to you.

*edit sorry wasnt looking at the date, didnt mean to bring back an old thread

My local Advance Auto branches won't test codes anymore. They hand you the scanner and make you do it yourself.

Even better, if you ask me.

My check engine light has been on for 5k miles. I have not had the cash to do a header/mil install. My cats are for sure clogged sometimes i smell the rotten eggs. But today i wound her out merging onto the freeway and later i noticed the check engine light was gone. I did not reset the computer or take the batt cable off so i am dumbfounded. I guess i will get up early and fly down to deq and see if i pass emissions. Here in Oregon if the computer says your good your good. i dont see how a p1000 code could come up but this seems to good to be true. I wonder if taking it to redline today in 1st 2nd and 3rd cleared out the cats? I always baby her and hardly ever redline any gear. Will go early in the morning and do a follow up.

go now while you still can! you wont get a p1000 code. you will have history codes, but no current codes which is a green light for you

My cats are for sure clogged sometimes i smell the rotten eggs.
i remember reading on an Audi web page that the 'rotten egg smell' is not a sign of bad cat's, but of unburnt fuel being dumped onto the cat's. Maybe your issue was MAF IACV EGR 02's related. If i find that thread, which i think is on NECO i'll link it.. You could try running some seafoam through your gas tank for a while...G.

Back