• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Foam Enclosures

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
I just got done upgrading my front door speakers with a set of Pioneer TS-A6872R 6" x 8" 3-way speakers, and am quite happy. They have poly-woofer cones and butyl rubber surrounds so dampness should not bother them. I waited almost 3 weeks for my local car audio gypsy to get in a set of the foam enclsures that go behind the speakers, but he never did. Are those really needed? What value or quality do they add to the sound? Should I bother getting some online from Crutchfield et al or just call it good, since the original speakers (nice whizzer cone there!) didn't have them.

Any thoughts?

theoretically they should help your midbass. but since they are made of foam and are quite flimsy they dont. so unless your going to fiberglass over them to stiffen them they are a complete waste of money

Actually their purpose is to protect the speaker from its environment (water, dirt, etc.). With the old style paper cone speakers it was more important to have this protection but today's materials are more resistant to the environmental effects. It would not be a waste to have the baffles, but the world won't end if you don't have them.

Thanks! That's exactly the reason I looked for speakers with polymerc ones (not paper) and rubber surrounds (not foam). It's very damp and rainy in my area so I figured planning ahead like that would be better than adding more material behind the speakers. besides, the old OEM speakers that came out were paper cones with foam surrounds and they held up pretty well for a 10-y.o. auto.

Back