• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Looking for Help

SVT_Fan

CEG'er
I'm considering attempting control arms and struts replacement (as well as some suspension linkeages if necessary), but have been putting it off b/c of all the complexities surrounding the LHS LCA. Ideally, an experienced CEGer would be looking to kill some time and want to walk me through it. Alternatively, I may be interested in just turning the repair over to someone with experience. I got a few responses to a similar post in a diff/ area (apologies -- I recognize now that it was probably not the appropriate area).

I don't even have the parts yet, but am starting to get serious about doing the swap. PM with interest one way or the other. If you're interested in it as a side job, give me an idea of what your hoping to get paid --- and an indication that you have experience with the swap. Thx

i have absolutely no experience in this :laugh:, but i would sure love to learn so if you need a helping hand....you know....a "grab the wrench guy", I can help. I have to do the same thing so i really need to learn.

i have absolutely no experience in this :laugh:, but i would sure love to learn so if you need a helping hand....you know....a "grab the wrench guy", I can help. I have to do the same thing so i really need to learn.

reddired! you have my wheels :cry: I want those FSVTs :cry: I will trade plus cash for some E1's

I have E1's.:shrug: Guess you want them free or something.

wth are you talking about? I saw your E1 post thinking you had a set of E1 wheels with tires (usually is the case). I have E1's with tires, but they are summer only tires (with about 50% tread left), I was going to buy your E1's outright from you (if they had a decent all season tire) then sell mine for what I paid for yours. That way they were free to me, and you didnt get the dick.

Stop sounding like such an asshole all of the time, lol.

To the OP, the drivers side Control arm really isnt that difficult, there are two ways you can go at doing it. One is you can get a floor jack with a block of wood, support it where the trans is mated to the engine, undo the passenger side main trans mount, then lift the engine and trans as high as you need them to go, this really is more work then you need to go about. Most people get a sawzaw with a metal cutting blade, undo the bolt to the LCA then hammer is upwards toward the trans, so a little neck of it is poking upward, then cut the bolt and slide it out using a pair of vice grips, of course you will have to replace this bolt so find one at a local hardware store of the SAME DIAMETER and probably a little shorter, that way you can flip the bolt so the nut is faceing upward (as opposed to downward).

I just did this with my SVT, it was an absolute breeze, I had never done an LCA before and it took me about an hour on the driver side. If you have the tools, and a case of beer I would be happy to come out and lend a hand.

OH and just a little side note, if you dont mind ordering your LCAs, go to rockauto.com they have Dorman 2 bolt LCAs for like $38 each, I just ordered mine there and they are super nice quality, I have absolutely no complaints about them. Plus there is a discount code for 5% off right now

Total with Shipping is $77.45 not bad :cool:

Back