• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Need clutch help

redtour

New CEG'er
Hi my 95 contour 2.0 needs a new clutch i was looking on cta cause iam getting the bat kit, should i replace the fly weel also and what should i get? there are no motor mots just yet. Thanks for all the info

Ebay isn't a bad place to look for a clutch. Gripforce Clutches offers quality OEM-spec stuff.

You don't need to do anything with the flywheel. Take a little steel wool to it if their is residue from your old clutch on it. Unless of course you want to spend the money on a alum. Fidanza.

I'm not sure about the tranny mounts on your car but most likely there is a lower trans mount (crossmember to trannny) you will definitely want to swap out with a polyurethane one at this time, if possible and if you plan on it.

Don't know the material of a stock flywheel, but if it's cast iron then eyeball it close for heat cracks. If they're light and not deep resurface flywheel. Don't know about these smaller motors but on good hp producing American V-8s I have seen more than one flywheel explode from cracks. Cast iron is a crappy material to use for a performance flywheel. Heat cracks also can lead very easily to clutch chatter at engagement. Lighter is better on small displacement engines when it comes to flywheel, but you may be forced to relearn somewhat your off-idle driving technique. You have to be less aggressive releasing the clutch, less inertia there to yank car away from standing still.

Back