• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

No charging.

ToasterOven

CEG'er
Okay, so my contour isn't charging. i've pulled the alternator and had it checked, it passed. New battery and new connectors. I've checked wiring diagrams from my haynes manual, but they weren't to helpful in finding where the wires ran to check for a short or something. So i was wondering if anyone had a more proper diagram and/or knew what fuses relays and what not are involved with the charging system. Maybe any better tests i can conduct to better solve the problem? the alternator is currently pulled.

Car is:'99 contour. V6 auto. no radio is connected to drain power or anything, it just doesn't charge. the low battery light comes on while its running, but only faintly.

any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks ahead of time!

Last edited:
okay. what is the mega fuse and how do i check it?

fuse five was blown. odd thing though. it was a 20 amp fuse in where a 15 should be,. but still blown. fog lights dont work, would that be that fuse? ill be putting the alternator back in tomorrow. if that fuse blows again, what might the problem be for why that fuse was blowing? I'm gonna look at the wiring for the foglights closer as i had them cut to put in other fogs, then put the stock ones back in with new bulbs. that might be shorting.

Thanks again. coulda saved myself alot of time and labor pulling that fricken alternator if i woulda just come here first!

okay. what is the mega fuse and how do i check it?

fuse five was blown. odd thing though. it was a 20 amp fuse in where a 15 should be,. but still blown. fog lights dont work, would that be that fuse? ill be putting the alternator back in tomorrow. if that fuse blows again, what might the problem be for why that fuse was blowing? I'm gonna look at the wiring for the foglights closer as i had them cut to put in other fogs, then put the stock ones back in with new bulbs. that might be shorting.
...!
Mega fuse is below the coil pack. If it blows, you will get a steady charge light on the dash.

Yes, fuse 5 is for the foglamps. Make sure fog lamps work, check the wiring at the connectors and make sure the lamp holders are in good condition.

woot woot! fuse five was the problem! coulda saved myself ALOT of time and hassle by checking all the fuses first. Thanks Tony! your my hero! lol.

But took it out for a quick spin around the block, lots of smoke now. I think the oil pan gasket is starting to go. It was just a tiny bit when i parked it, and it must have gotten worse now after being used. spewing oil on the exhaust and it's burning away right quick. how hard is that to change and is there anything else i should check for oil leaks?

Back