• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Preferred brand for strut mounts?

getsum111

Yes I am a Pirate, 200 years too late.
Hey all, I am planning to change my strut mounts over spring break. I was checking out Rockauto.com, and they list several brands, such as Monroe, Moog, AC Delco, Sachs, and KYB. Prices range from about $41-$65. Obviously, I'd like to save money, but not if the part won't last. Is there a reason not to pick the Monroe strut mount for $41? :shrug:

FWIW, I do have the BAT kit installed, if it makes any difference? Opinions are welcome. Thanks.

word of warning. I forget what brand my father got, might have been monroe, but they came with the pre98 strut bearing and not the post 98 strut bearing. it might have been a missbox but we are not sure.

the pre98 strut bearing has plastic clips and clips into the top plate. the post 98 strut bearing is slightly smaller in diameter and doesnt have clips. so you can't interchange the two.

I'm in the market for the mounts as well and I was wondering the same thing. I was going to go with the ones that BAT sells since I need to buy a strut from them but i was curious about the ones on RockAuto as well. Looks like they list the SACHS fronts for $22 and rears for $33 but I have no idea if their good or if thats the right part.:shrug:

Or you can just go to Autozone and get the Gabriel ones and save yourself the shipping. I don't know how good they are, but the fronts have a lifetime warranty and the rears 3 months. Just another option for you.

I also need strut mounts but I'll be waiting till summer to replace them. I'll me watching this thread closely to see what everyone decides to go with.

Or you can just go to Autozone and get the Gabriel ones and save yourself the shipping. I don't know how good they are, but the fronts have a lifetime warranty and the rears 3 months. Just another option for you.

Looks I'm gonna have to have those shipped anyways because it looks like they don't carry them in my area.

Why are the ones that BAT sells so much cheaper than everyone else? Are they not the right part?

How do you figure they're so much cheaper?

The rears are comparable to other brands, and the front mounts plus bearings are also pretty comparable to others if they include bearings, as is the case of the Gabriels I used as an example. Especially after you add shipping. To be honest, all these suppliers copy the same design, with the mount rubber being the only real potential durability variation. I'd go with the least expensive option if I were buying new. I just looked into this myself when doing my whole suspension, but ended up reusing the rears, which were in fine condition, and the camber kit replaced the fronts, along with thoroughly cleaned and repacked bearings.

How do you figure they're so much cheaper?

The rears are comparable to other brands, and the front mounts plus bearings are also pretty comparable to others if they include bearings, as is the case of the Gabriels I used as an example. Especially after you add shipping. To be honest, all these suppliers copy the same design, with the mount rubber being the only real potential durability variation. I'd go with the least expensive option if I were buying new. I just looked into this myself when doing my whole suspension, but ended up reusing the rears, which were in fine condition, and the camber kit replaced the fronts, along with thoroughly cleaned and repacked bearings.

Well I've been doing alot of price comparisons today. The BAT rears are listed for $34.50 compared to the Gabriels that are $41.99. The BAT fronts are $22.75 or 29.50 (i'm not sure which ones I need) compared to the Gabriels which are $61.99 :shrug: Just wanna make sure I'm getting the right stuff.

You missed the point of my post. Like I said, the $61 Gabriels include bearings--I checked this last month. BAT sells them separate from the mounts. So add those figures you posted together. Now add shipping. It's a wash.

Ah I gotcha so I would need to get both parts for the front.:troutslap: Yeah I didn't understand that part. Well I need to get a strut from BAT anyway, so I might just order these anyway. Maybe they can combine shipping or something.

Looks like the Monroes are cheaper at 41.99 on Rockauto though

Well yeah if you're already getting a large package shipped, then the mounts are a negligible shipping increase, so that's a different story. I looked into that option as well before going with the Konis at wholesale. ;)

Yeah hopefully they can do something. I'm gonna call tomorrow. Weren't u running a BAT kit? What happened? Have a extra BAT front strut laying around?

Nope, all stock struts and springs up until last weekend. They were potentially original at 132K since I have no record of them being replaced by POs, although they seem in too good shape. I just needed my subframe reinforced because it was starting to make bad noises with the Roush bar, and decided to go splurge on Konis and B&Gs for autocross at the same time since everything was going to be out.

I hear that. For most stuff, I go to Autozone or NAPA, since they all know me there. Not too any small parts stores around anymore, or I'd go there. My dad alwayus went to a local guy, he would just shake his head when my dad walked in. :laugh:

fyi the strut mounts my father purchased where monroes. the part number on the box was correct for a post 98 but the bearing was for a pre98.

Just used Monroe myself. No complaints yet (2-1/2 weeks old) and the bearings were correct. Ended up ordering the fronts with my springs from Summit but the rears were way expensive for some reason. Just got those local.

fyi the strut mounts my father purchased where monroes. the part number on the box was correct for a post 98 but the bearing was for a pre98.
Maybe just mispacked? I'll have to make sure to check when I'm ordering that correct bearings are in there. Thanks for heads up, Brian.

ditto here
ordered Monroe's online from Advance Auto
received 2 correct marked boxes but inside one box was a pre 98 bearing with attached plastic ring and clips.

No local stock to replace and car already apart so what I did was take an exacto knife and very carefully cut the ring off the bearing. Ensured all edges smooth and good before installing.

Back