• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Chimes and Bings! - Missing?

Scorpion8

Hard-core CEG'er
Maybe an easy question, and a search on "chimes" doesn't yield much, but there's no chime when I turn off my 98 'tour GL if I leave the headlights on. Is this standard? I find it hard to believe that there's no idiot light chime, as I've already killed the battery once since I got the car and caught myself a 2nd time. The car has a chime if I open the doors and leave the keys in the ignition, but not the lights ON?

search up on the procedure for testing the interior lighting control module. Its a sequence (like... turn key on twice, press turn signal, honk horn wiggle nose twice, etc)

This test (when you find the procedure) will test the control module and its various outputs, etc.

Also, clean the driver's door switch (located inside the edge of the door jamb at the bottom.. black plastic switch. Remove the two screws from it and the switch will dangle out of the doorjamb. clean the contacts and then work the switch in and out a bunch of times... reinstall and test again.. that may be your culprit above the control module, or anything else.

Thanks! I copied and PDF'ed that procedure last night. I was hoping for a simple "Yup, there's supposed to be an idiot "bing"!" before I dove into it. If there's not supposed to be a chime, then I'd be better off cleaning the door switches with my time instead.

There IS a chime when your key is on and the door is open, or when your headlights are on and the door is open.

IIRC one is a single repetitive ding (think.. 1/4 notes) and the other is like 1/8th notes.

There IS a chime when your key is on and the door is open, or when your headlights are on and the door is open.

Thanks. Already knew that, and that one works. But no lights-left-on-and-door-open-dummy chime?

there isn't a "third" chime that is indicative of both events (door and lights) occuring at the same time.. no.

The car chimes with the lights on, or the door open... both events still trigger a "true" statement for either so its the same chimes.

unless I'm missing what you are asking.

Thanks. My question was maybe ill phrased. My car has a chime when the door is open and the keys are left in the ignition, regardless if the headlights are left on or not. But if the lights are ON and the key is removed and the door is opened, there's no separate chime for just the lights left on? My Dodge Ram has one. If the headlights get left ON, and I open the door regardless of if the key is in the ignition or not, I get a different ching! than the usual chime.

There should be a chime when you open the door with the lights on. There is something up with your car. Since you get a chime for the keys with the door, its not likely to be the door switch. Other than that I can't be of much assistance.

i think he is asking if the chime is supposed to be different, as in with the door open and key in it sounds different then with the door open and lights on. the answer is (i beleive) no. they both sound the same, of course i never really hear the chime since i always pull my key and turn off the headlights before i open the door.

okay.. now we're getting down to it.

There is SUPPOSED to be a chime with key on door open.
There is SUPPOSED to be a chime with key off headlights on.

The door switch is LIKELY not a problem, since you get a chime.
Do you get footwell lighting under the dash when you open your door (key off, headlights off)

I'd test the lighting module and outputs like you said...

I just went out to the car at lunch. Me thinks the door switch is the issue since if I pushed it in and out a few times I could get the door-open-lights-on-key-off chime to go on, and other times it would not. New door switch, or a good clean/lube of it is in my future.

Thanks for all the replies!

I once locked my keys in the SVT for this reason (yes I'm blaming the car, not my neglect to remove the key :laugh:). No chime, so I got out, locked it, and went into a store, came back and did the frantic pocket pat and then looked in the passenger side and there they were dangling from the ignition. It was a really great way to find out I had a sticky door switch, let me tell you. Roadside assistance insurance FTW. Hope this is your problem.

It's the door switch. I took my son to soccer practice tonight and was walking away when some lady told me my lights were on. I opened the door, flicked the door switch and immediately got a familiar <ding-ding-ding....>. Off to Ford tomorrow to source a new one, as it sticks at an angle and that may be the cause.

I was looking up the exact same issue when I found this post.
Since I have put on only 231 miles in the time I have had this CSVT I had no idea that the chime did not work for 'lights on-door open'.
My issue is the door switch.
Thanks for posting the problem and thank you to everyone that has given input.
Problem solved.:cool:

I replaced my door switch (spendy lil' item) and that cured it also. Thanks everyone for the help. Now, about that persistent PO135 CEL ....

Back