• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

get a eggy smell at highway speed +gas

boomer

CEG'er
I get a eggy smell in my car when I give it a good punch of gas on the highway. Say we are cruising highway speed and I have to punch it for some reason, thats when the smell happens. What is it coming from? why? :shrug:
and no its not because of eating beans,,,lol:crazy:

Rotten egg smell - GrumpyOldGit Google found this.
------------------

ROTTEN EGG SMELL FROM CATALYTIC CONVERTER

The sulphur smell from the exhaust, is actually caused by running the engine/cat convertor slightly lean for long periods and then running under a rich condition (ie going up a hill under heavy load) This is when the sulphur smell (rotten egg) is produced.

Under relatively lean conditions, the sulphur found in gasoline is converted to sulphur trioxide, then during the rich running condition the sulfur trioxide is converted into hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) within the catalytic converter.

Audi of America issued a service bulletin Group 24, #92-04 which detailed this problem. They list the cause as : the gasoline sulphur content and the characteristic of catalytic convertor to store sulphur compounds and release them during rich engine running conditions.

Switching gasoline brands may help. The Oxygen sensor may also need to be replaced to correct a fuel injection mixture problem

hope this helps...G.

Yea def ur cat convertor, or bad 02 sensor (precat maybe?) I think if it was ur O2 sensor your check engine light would come on for it going bad, but im still a svt noob so wait for others to post.

Under relatively lean conditions, the sulphur found in gasoline is converted to sulphur trioxide, then during the rich running condition the sulfur trioxide is converted into hydrogen sulphide (rotten egg smell) within the catalytic converter.
if the eggy smell is coming from the cat, then this statement actually proves the cat IS working. Don't let some garage mug you off into buying a cat. Get some seafoam and run it through you gas tank for awhile... G.

if the eggy smell is coming from the cat, then this statement actually proves the cat IS working. Don't let some garage mug you off into buying a cat. Get some seafoam and run it through you gas tank for awhile... G.

Man, I heard alot of good things about this "Seafoam"
I going out this afternoon to get some. I heard its good for motorcycle carbs, etc as well.:)

I get a eggy smell in my car when I give it a good punch of gas on the highway. Say we are cruising highway speed and I have to punch it for some reason, thats when the smell happens. What is it coming from? why? :shrug:
and no its not because of eating beans,,,lol:crazy:

here is another important question.. is your car giving you a "check engine" light?

Man, I heard alot of good things about this "Seafoam"
I going out this afternoon to get some. I heard its good for motorcycle carbs, etc as well.:)

SeaFoam saved my marriage.
.........Ok I lied, but it is some GREAT stuff, I wont leave for a long trip without it in my tank.

DO NOT TOUCH MARVEL MYSTERY OIL

Guess what, Can't get "SEAFOAM" in Canada. Whats the next best thing to it?

Back