• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Finally doing a 3L

009EngineParts.jpg

I have that same pile of :censored::censored::censored::censored: in my garage too :laugh: - no one wants to buy it either :nonono:

Holy crap!! That sucks monkey nuts. Thanks for the update though Dan. I also need to get my headers and those other parts to you. If you still have that y-pipe I'll take that as well. Thanks for the link Gary. I'll be sure to check it out.

The COPs are worth $$ on Ebay. That's how I sold mine. Maybe the injectors, too (remember, they're returnless). The rest of the stuff went in the trash.. :(

Don't sweat the pulley- We have to use the 2.5L one anyway, and it appears the crank was undamaged by our little "adventure".

The COPs are worth $$ on Ebay. That's how I sold mine. Maybe the injectors, too (remember, they're returnless). The rest of the stuff went in the trash.. :(

Well, crap. I was looking for another EGR to hack up, and that UIM is supposed to be better than mine. Oh well.

Glad to see that everything seems to be going well, Lilce.

Yeah, everything is coming together. I've been having some water pump issues with her lately though. The one we put on there started leaking so i put a new one on. Then that one started leaking through the weep hole. It did that for a couple weeks and then it stopped all of a sudden:shrug:
Hope you'll be around when the swap happens.:cool:

When you replaced the pump, did you also replace the pump housing? Most people don't, because you can only get the pump housing from Ford directly. My pump housing got all torn up inside due to a loose restrictor plate. That might explain why your new pump is weeping.

When you replaced the pump, did you also replace the pump housing? Most people don't, because you can only get the pump housing from Ford directly. My pump housing got all torn up inside due to a loose restrictor plate. That might explain why your new pump is weeping.

Hmm I'll have to check that. I had my mechanic do it, before i saw the How to and realized i could've probably done it myself. He got the pump from NAPA. Why would it stop leaking all of a sudden though? I had to constantly put at least a gallon of water in there a day and when i filled it up an couple days ago it didn't leak anymore.

so the one I put on there leaked too? I had to replace the housing when I did the pump because a bolt sheared off inside. And since I had one here already that went in. I did open it up to check the impellers first but a new gasket went back in too.

When is the swap happening? I have full control over my schedule now but do tend to keep my days packed so I can make money.

Last edited:
so the one I put on there leaked too? I had to replace the housing when I did the pump because a bolt sheared off inside. And since I had one here already that went in. I did open it up to check the impellers first but a new gasket went back in too.

When is the swap happening? I have full control over my schedule now but do tend to keep my days packed so I can make money.

Yeah the first one was leaking around the seals. The second one was leaking out of the weep hole, but hasn't leaked in a week. I'm not sure whats going on. I'm not sure when exactly the swap is going down. Dan's been busy with family stuff and has been doing what he can with the time he has. I'm waiting for the bearings, head gaskets, and head bolts to some in, so he can finish work on the 3L. I'll probably say in a couple weeks the actual swap should be going down

Meh, that doesn't make it right.

2.5 Heads +3L Block = Hybrid.

Fixed.:cool: Well, edited for clarity, really.

I really think that a lot of people learn better with pictures. My point was, if there were some good, basic drawings, noobs could be pointed to the right pictures when they ask the same questions or when veterans post inaccurate definitions.

I like the drawings. I just don't fully agree with the definition of "hybrid". Like the definition of synthetic. Mobil claimed that only oils from PAO (or is it POA) base stocks could be called "synthetic" and took Castrol to task when they called their Group III base stock oil "synthetic". Mobil lost, because there is synthesis involved in creating Group III base stocks, just not as extensive. Any mixing between a 3.0 and a 2.5 is a "hybrid", and therein lies the confusion. There needs to be a little more to the name than just "hybrid".

hyrbid in the 7+ years i've been here has always been 3l block,svt heads and manifold/tb. than you have your straight 3l,and your ported 3l,which could be called a ported hybrid if you use svt cams,3l heads and block,and svt manifolds:crazy:

Back