• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Engine Light

SamSVT18

CEG'er
Well guys today my check engine light came on while i was driving... And here is the interesting part... It seemed as if my secondaries had been closed shut, so when i got to school today i took a quick glance at the clip and it was fine. So i figured it was my IMRC... Well after my class i got in my car, and the light came on then... And now i have a interesting noise coming from under the bonnet. So tomorrow im am going to get the Code checked out to see whats she is throwing... cross your fingers cause i hope it isnt bad :cry::cry:...

Well i finally went to Auto Zone today... And the verdict is... A P1518... IMRC, or Short in the electrical system... So my IMRC has yet again gone out on my car :cry: in under a year... So Ford has a policy that they cover all parts replaced by them for 1 year... Lets see if they will keep it, shall we... But i do think that its more than my IMRC, because it sounds different at lower rpms than it normally does. So ill have them give her the run down... Think they'll ask me about my Air Bag lights again:laugh::laugh:

p1518 is IMRC stuck open, not shut. That would explain your different low-end. Honestly, I don't mind it when my IMRC gets stuck open. I have a 3L, so maybe it's different on a 2.5 (my stock SVT never breaks anything, so I wouldn't know with that one), but I have enough torque that it doesn't bother me. I actually seem to get a little better gas mileage when its stuck open too.

Ahhhhh it says that its stuck open, but in my car i can tell its stuck closed, because i have no top end power... but i didnt know it threw codes?

Yeah, I've driven around with the IMRC unplugged, and it took like 2+ weeks to throw a code for p1520- stuck closed.

Ok if the P1520 means its stuck closed, and mine says its a p1518 but its closed then what does that mean?... I know its closed, im not that retarded because i have no top end power... so its throwing the wrong codes?

It could mean something like the cable is broken. Then if the IMRC was stuck in the open position the secondary spring would close them. That is the only thing I can think of. Or, maybe the little clip that holds the link between the to rods is missing or broken. Then only one side would be stuck open.

I like your thinking; however, there is a spring in the IMRC box that extends the cable when there is no load, so it's not like the motor could retract it (open secondaries), but have a broken cable that would cause it to stay retracted from not being connected to the bracket on the IMRC with the spring. If it were me, I'd get another IMRC out of the junkyard or from somebody on here. Worst case scenario, it's not that, and you just sell the IMRC for a profit (if you pulled it from a junk yard, where they are $10-20).

Well im takin it in tomorrow to get a tune up and the 120k mile check up... So its on the list of being looked at... and i am going to just pick one up from a junk yard i think... But i really want to know what went wrong with the imrc this time and why its throwin the wrong code if its stuck closed

Wait, you're taking it somewhere to get tuned up?

No dude. That'll cost you a fortune. I'll do it for a fraction of the cost, and I actually know what I'm doing! I know how to troubleshoot the IMRC too.

Shoot me a PM. We'll figure something out.

The last time my IMRC acted up I threw the stuck open code but when I went to replace the IMRC box I discovered that the hidden link clip, the one on the rear bank, had broken and the linkage was jammed partially open.

Top end power was way off, and bottom end power suffered some as well, but not nearly as dramatically.

Replacing the broken clip and retaining the old IMRC box solved the problem.

So i took it in to the ford dealership in Puyallup and had them do an engine check up and stuff... They only charged me 75, so it wasnt terrible.. But i bought the used imrc from wired so im going to put it on some time this weekend... And today i put my drilled and slotted rotors on :drool::drool:

How do you like them?

:drool::drool:.... The IMRC you gave me was simply orgasmic :drool::drool:... i had been driving with it closed for about 2 and a half weeks, maybe more and once i attached it.... it was a new car :laugh:... lol, so the deal with mine was that the cable had been shredded inside the imrc till it broke... so the its fine, all i need is to replace the cable and put it back together....

And the rotors really feel good when braking from higher speeds... no wable or anything... oh and i got some front 98 SVT pads for sale, since mine is a 99 it has a different caliper so its a whole lot different... So you 98ers want some pads i got them...

Back