• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Blu's 1995 Contour SE 3L build thread

I had a free silv fro mirko that I traded for these raffle headers :) - I got them on wednesday, and I powder coated them last night

Nice work! Still stuck on my ball joint not going in, but thats just about the only thing I have left to do before I can turn the key. Shouldn't be too much longer hopefully!

I was getting ready for the porting and I was taping holes and plugging everything to keep debris from getting into anything. I noticed that the tapped holes in the 3L heads for the upper mount are too small for the 2.5L bolts that were used. Are people just getting new bolts to fit the threads in the 3L head or am I missing something?

And if anyone cares, the thread for the bolts needed for mounting the motor to a stand are m10x1.5 and you should get about a 75mm in length. :)

yes I believe you can get new bolts to make that work. iirc the A/C compressor bolts are the right size and length for one or two of the 4 that you need.

Joe I get the '01 Cougar mount and grind it down to squeeze between heads. If you have the heads off then you can retap the holes and use the 2.5 mount.

Heads won't be off so I will grind the cougar mount and use bolts that fit the threaded holes. Why are those holes there anyway and what was the point of making them smaller or even at all?

Heads won't be off so I will grind the cougar mount and use bolts that fit the threaded holes. Why are those holes there anyway and what was the point of making them smaller or even at all?

maybe for the escape since they are more similar to the contour in there setup?

Hmmm, are your bolts different because yours is a 95? My bolts for the motor mount went right in. I just ground down my stock mount using pics on here.

I recieved some porting bits from a friend of mine. He had a variety pack of 8 bits. Flat tops, round tops, cone shaped, ball shaped, everything I need.
I starting porting one spot to see how it will work, and I LOVE IT!
This is going to be kinda fun knowing I was able to do all of this work by myself. I will post up some pics when I get a little more done. :)

Are you starting with something like a carbide bur or grinding/porting stones?

The first time I ported I used the stones and they worked great but kinda slow.

This time around I am starting with a carbide bur and it really eats away the material. I will then finish it up with something less aggressive.

If you go only stones it may end up taking forever.

Here is what I am using right now....

Like this but the cone shape.

http://i7.ebayimg.com/03/i/000/b1/2c/5b59_1.JPG

I am using the same bit that is in your link. I will do 95% of the porting with that, and finish up with stones and sanding spirals.
The bur bit really eats away at the aluminum. Should take about 1hr per port including the poishing too.

This is going to be kinda fun knowing I was able to do all of this work by myself. I will post up some pics when I get a little more done. :)

that is what it is all about. get your research done and complete the project yourself. good job :cool:

Porting Pics

Porting Pics

This is what I did with a tiny ball shaped carbide bur bit. It was horribly slow and way too small for taking out as much metal as I needed to.:
3Lbuild005.jpg

3Lbuild006.jpg

Then I got this sweet set of bits from a friend of mine to borrow. Needless to say, having the right tools makes a world of difference.
I hogged out this 1/2 of the port in 2 minutes to show you guys some progress. I took it down to about 95% so all I have to do is polish/finish the ports smooth. I would grind for about 30 sec, dip it in motorcycle gear/motor oil, let some drip onto the area I was porting and grind away.

This is super easy. Get some good lighting and take your time sweeping the bit so you don't dig in. Any damage you think you might have done most likely can be fixed. If it starts to jump around on you hold onto the die grinder a little tighter and don't push so hard

2 minutes of grinding with this one bit:
3Lbuild013.jpg

3Lbuild014.jpg

3Lbuild015.jpg

3Lbuild016.jpg

3Lbuild017.jpg

3Lbuild018.jpg

3Lbuild019.jpg

You can see the tiny bit I started porting with laying in the case:
3Lbuild021.jpg

P.S. Bugzuki, I love you for making these plates. I would say these are a must for beginner porters....

Very nice port work, The right tools make all the difference in the world.

I hope you have it ported and back together quickly. These 3L are to much fun.

Joe, are you using that little compressor you have for this? I didn't think it would support die grinder, but if it does then good news for me and i can port/sell my 3L heads.

Back