• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Pwntbywombat 3L Build Thread

I just painted my tranny silver. Not that I know what I'm talking about, but the tranny was apart, WHOOPIE! I got to see what it look like first hand, and I got to see how everything comes together. It went back together no problem, what is it...like 12 bolts to reconnect it to the bell housing? Christ, a child could put it back together, and for the record this IS a project car, nothing more, nothing less. I plan on turning it into a 12 second contour just for sh*ts and giggles at some point. My buddy is designing a new plenom to accept a twin screw supercharger. So I have to cut a hole in the hood, big deal, like Tricker said, to me, this thing is just a toy...and my choice of colors was just for a joke to all those Honda boys who live around here who think VTEC is hott sh*t, its not. This is just to prove that if you put the time and money into an American car, it will out run any import. There is no replacement for displacement. VTEC or not, all i care is that I can take an S2000 or a brandy new Civic SI (I did that with the 2.5), and nothing brings me more joy then seeing the face of a Honda kid who just got smoked by a CONTOUR... Not to mention, once that plenom is ready and tested, the car will be getting a whole new motor. I plan on being the first to implement DAMB heads, and maybe even do an ECU swap to incorporate VCT. I have big plans for this car...this project is just to occupy my time. I work on this thing MAYBE once a week. If I actually took the time and stuck with it, this car would have been back on the road in November. I am a N00B at this, but everyone was once a N00B, you have to start somewhere. I would much rather build something with potential, and by something I mean the Contour, then some POS Honda. Because having an 11 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet, sure you impress a lot of people, but in the end...you are still gay.

I plan on turning it into a 12 second contour just for sh*ts and giggles at some point.
Well, that makes this entire thing make a little more sence. That wasn't mentioned before. So this is a fun car, weekend warrior, track, race thingy. I get it.

I would much rather build something with potential, and by something I mean the Contour, then some POS Honda. Because having an 11 second Honda is just like coming out of the closet, sure you impress a lot of people, but in the end...you are still gay.

I never said anything about hondas... :confused:.

Yes, my trans is yellow but I shouldn't have to explain why, it just works.

Good luck with the build.

yeah to be honest though this platform isn't a real good starting point. your at a disadvantage if you have any amount of power. there's no traction. these cars are all about the twisties :) 12 seconds? good luck. i know someone will do it SOON either way

If you guys had to recommend a clutch with good life that isn't going to break when I dump it, what would you go with? And where do I find these 01 cougar motor mount bolts?

OEM SVT is really durrable and has long life I have heard. The bolts you can get hardned ones from most fastenall's. Threads are the same as the ac compressor bolts. 2 different lengths also.

I think the part numbers are in the stickies. Been awhile since I have read them.

Long Bolts: W704693S309 $5.22/EA. LIST
Short Bolts: W704694S309 $3.53/EA. LIST

Last edited:
I've been looking around and I have found clutches on ebay and other online retailers like CTA and what not; I am just wondering if they are worth looking into? Like the "F1 Racing Clutches" or the SPEC clutches. Thanks for the part numbers too.

Spec stage II is the best clutch around. I wouldnt buy anything else. The one thing to remember is that you need to lay off the throttle for the first 500 miles. That was the hardest thing for me to do but it paid off in the end. The clutch was great with the NOS system I had it never slipped. It was a big improvement over the stock one. I had to use slightly more force to push the pedal but it was'nt bad at all. Driving it in downtown Chicago during rush hour was'nt bad either.

Just remember, you have to break in the clutch! If you shift above 3k during break in you risk over heating it then the clutch will never seat right.

Cant wait to buy another one for the new project.

on the offensive i got my spec stage 3 to shatter afer 40k it went down. the springs shat out of it.

I would think 40k is alot for a race clutch.

Now that I said spec is such a great clutch something will go wrong with mine...its my luck.

I finally got my motor mount bolts! Thanks to my Haynes manual and a 3L pdf that was posted on NECO we assembled the motor tonight.
Installed:
Motor mount
Cleaned and torques the heads
Cams/Related head internals
Chains, guides, tensioners, sprockets, and pulse wheel
Oil pan
Timing cover w/ sensors
Alternator
Power steering pump
Crank pulley

Torquing the heads following procedure in the Haynes manual. Yes, the face was necessary.

0115092006a.jpg

Installing head internals and cams.

downsized_0115092043.jpg

Timing components installed thanks to the Haynes manual.
downsized_0116091945.jpg

Its just about done...just the valve covers and the headers then its ready to go in! W00T!

0116092112a.jpg

OK am I on crack or is this guy building his engine in his living room? My question is wheres the rest of the car? In the bedroom maybe?

OK am I on crack or is this guy building his engine in his living room?

Looks like a good idea to me. It's cold outside, and I've never been in a garage in extreme temperatures that was as comfortable as my livingroom. If you carried it in disassembled, I hope you checked that it would fit out the door assembled before putting it all together. I know from experience how much that sucks.

Do you have an estimated date of install yet? I'm looking forward to seeing (I mean hearing, we already know what it looks like) how it turns out.

Yeah, where i live... its only been about -4 degrees the past 3 days so it a little chilly outside. No, not my living room. My basement, where it is nice and warm! We might throw the motor in later today provided i can get some people over here to help, other than that its just whenever. I'll keep you posted.

If I was your parent, I would kick your ass and make you buy new carpet :nonono:. This entire thread confuses me :crazy:........

Back