• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Trans stuck to motor >:(

Beans

Addicted CEG'er
v6 mtx-75 unbolted from the block (its free standing on a engine picker right now)

WILL. NOT. COME. APART.

No bolts holding it in, tried hitting it off with a hammer, prying it with a crowbar,screwdriver.

Nothing, wont even budge. Help!

Are you sure every bolt is out of the bellhousing? Is the starter pulled?

Maybe the input shaft is just bound up in the clutch? I'd drop the engine/trans to the ground to take any tension off the input shaft, and pull on the trans straight back. Is there any gap between the block and the bellhousing yet?

Are you sure every bolt is out of the bellhousing?
Yes 100%
Is the starter pulled?
Yes.

Maybe the input shaft is just bound up in the clutch?
Beat's me :shrug:

I'd drop the engine/trans to the ground to take any tension off the input shaft, and pull on the trans straight back.
Tried that already. Had the engine sitting on the oil pan starting out.

Is there any gap between the block and the bellhousing yet?
Nope.

Try heat yet? Bellhousing is aluminum it should heat up mighty fast.

Whatever you're doing it's wrong. Do not pry hard on the mating surfaces either. You do not one to damage them. They can be sticky but they always come off. I pull up on the trans as it hangs and have someone slide a large flat screw driver. Just keep sticking in between and prying at different locations.

Whatever you're doing it's wrong.
Obviously :rolleyes:
Do not pry hard on the mating surfaces either. You do not one to damage them.
Mmhmm, i know that.
They can be sticky but they always come off. I pull up on the trans as it hangs and have someone slide a large flat screw driver. Just keep sticking in between and prying at different locations.

That's what i have been doing can pick up the entire motor by the trans and it does not want to come apart. But i guess I'll try more? :confused:

That's what i have been doing can pick up the entire motor by the trans and it does not want to come apart. But i guess I'll try more? :confused:[/quote]

I had the same problem with a trans I just pulled out.
The shaft was stuck on the clutch.
I pulled the little rubber boot off the top of the trans, stuck a large screwdriver into the clutch and another on the fly, pry both in opposite directions. Amazingly it came lose.
Odd thing though, I could not find any damage to the trans shaft or where it inserted into the clutch.
Hope this helps

I had the same problem with a trans I just pulled out.
The shaft was stuck on the clutch.
I pulled the little rubber boot off the top of the trans, stuck a large screwdriver into the clutch and another on the fly, pry both in opposite directions. Amazingly it came lose.
Odd thing though, I could not find any damage to the trans shaft or where it inserted into the clutch.
Hope this helps
Thanks,
I don't give a :censored::censored::censored::censored: about the clutch. :laugh:

Beaner! - This thing is fighting you already! I don't have any tips for ya that people havn't mentioned... :shrug: sorry.

Well i got it finally, it was the shaft that was giving me troubles. I ended up taking 4-5 screwdrivers and tapping them in around the trans tapping one at a time till i got a pretty good gap. then i just wiggled it free.

Well i got it finally, it was the shaft that was giving me troubles. I ended up taking 4-5 screwdrivers and tapping them in around the trans tapping one at a time till i got a pretty good gap. then i just wiggled it free.

Glad to hear Beans

Whatever you do, if it's really totally unbolted, even though stuck good there's not much holding it together. Don't lift it up high. Safety issues bigtime. Try messing with the clutch release to maybe help loosen up a stuck trans input. Have seen a destroyed clutch disc hub lock twisted and seize up on the input.

Back