+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 227
FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 ... LastLast

Thread: #49's new powerplant has arrived, let the build begin

Quote Originally Posted by KnuwSVTOwner View Post
    Are you still using the 4.6L valves? and I thought a while back you said you were going to continue to use the 2.5L duratec heads? (I could be wrong that may have been someone else)
    I looked into using 4.6L valves, but it's not possible. I never was planning on using the 2.5L heads... they don't have the updated oil drain back ports. One of the reasons people think the 2.5L's starve on oil... to much oil in the heads with not enough drain back. However it's all guesses, no has proved anything, but I'd rather stick with the latest and greatest. Not only that but I didn't want 11.5:1 compression either.
    -Mike
    If you are wondering where the avatar came from look here... Link
    98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link
    85 Camaro - 1969 350ci, 503BHP

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Blog Entries

Default How do you plan on addressing power issues to the wheels?

From what I've found these cars can be built up but have problems putting down big numbers on the track seems like it's because of traction, I saw in an older post your going to do custom work to your suspension, what do you have in mind for keeping the wheels on the ground (eliminating wheel hop), most infamous getting around breaking the half shafts, and also putting the power to the wheels and on the pavement?

Quote Originally Posted by KnuwSVTOwner View Post
    From what I've found these cars can be built up but have problems putting down big numbers on the track seems like it's because of traction, I saw in an older post your going to do custom work to your suspension, what do you have in mind for keeping the wheels on the ground (eliminating wheel hop), most infamous getting around breaking the half shafts, and also putting the power to the wheels and on the pavement?
    If you would have read through this build thread you would have come across my solution for this already. First I'm using a mappable HKS boost controller. I will only be running 3psi in 1st gear and working my way up from there. I'm planning on hitting a max of 18-20psi. Second I'm building a custom set of traction bars for the front end and replacing all of the flimsy suspension components with tubular ones. The biggest problem, in my opinion, with past builds is that people are running high boost down low and have excessive wheel hop. Over time these sudden shock loads shear the CV shafts. I'll be replacing my current shafts with the DSS stage 2 axles as well. I'm confident that I will not have the same issues that others have had.
    -Mike
    98 SVT Contour - HoK TruBlue|CF roof|#49/6535 DOB 3/25/97|550whp here I come|Follow my extremely slow 3L/turbo build here Link

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Blog Entries

Nice, I'll just continue to sit back and watch, sorry I've read mostly through this thread but after 50 some pages in one night I just kinda started skipping through here and there plus I'll be honest I don't remember everything I read thus far...
    but all in all looks and sounds good so far, I like that you address keeping the boost down low in first gear, I agree I think that's a rookie mistake, sounds like you know what you're doing not that I was questioning it, just trying to keep the facts and ideas fresh in your mind I know this project started over a year ago...
    Good luck bro...

Ha tell me about it, I should probably just put together a summary page or something and then just edit it as new things happen. Kinda funny really how this build happen though. I had a decision on my hands.... 96 Dodge Viper GTS, 02 Porsche 911 Turbo, or build the SVT Contour. Two of those choices resulted in a commitment to high monthly car payments. The SVT Contour option gave me the ability to stop when I needed to be put money else where. So by taking the Tour build option it allowed me to purchase the 05 Expedition I now own. Plus I can honestly say no corner has been cut in the building of this engine. Once I get my Mountune cams... the engine parts have all been purchased so I can finally put it together. However I'm going to hold off on building the engine until the car has been completely repainted... and a few other modifications have been completed, which I am keeping a secret until the car has been finished. At which point I will post up pictures of the car after paint. I have to keep some suspense in this build. Everyone already knows I have a CF roof overlay and have plans in the works to finish a pre98 CF trunk and my own custom CF hood. But... wait there's more...

All in all yes this build has officially been going on for more then a year now, but I think taking my time and doing everything right will pay off in the end.
    -Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

post # 666!! keep up the good work bro!
    -99 T-RED 3L SVT TURBO
    -99 T-GREEN RHD MPV ST220 MAZDA 6 TURE DUAL 3L SVT
    -00 BLK/TAN SVT
    NEW OEM CONTOUR PARTS DEALER*
    SVTWAREHOUSE.COM COMING SOON!!

Default Valve Springs Arrive!

FedEx Delivers...

Escape valve spring (on left) versus Mountune Valve Spring

-Mike

Owner - RIES PEFORMANCE

Drinking at work?
    -99 T-RED 3L SVT TURBO
    -00 BLK/TAN SVT

What's wrong with that? Work would be boring otherwise. lol
    Visit: 3LDuratec.com for a prepped 3L ready to drop in!

never said there was anything wrong with it lol!! The brand on the other hand is another story.
    -99 T-RED 3L SVT TURBO
    -00 BLK/TAN SVT

+ Reply to Thread
Page 67 of 227
FirstFirst ... 17 57 65 66 67 68 69 77 117 167 ... LastLast