• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

A/c ?

00spy

New CEG'er
I noticed when I drove my wifes contour the other day ,that when I turned on th a/c it sounded like the fan would cut on and off quite often ( I heard it sitting still in yard ) is this normal ,I know it should cut on when a/c is on , but should it cut on and off like that ( it is not constantly on and off , but it was when i first started the car so it was not hot enough for the fan to kick in .

Another question is that the blower will slow down for a bit and then speed up to the proper speed , if anyone could help me with these questions I would appreciate it

Thanks
Dave

It seems that when I cut the a/c on the fan comes on, runs for 12 to 35 sec. and stops for 6 to 10 sec. and starts back and so on. can anyone tell me if this is the way the fan is suppose to work on this car ,my other car the fan stays on constantly when a/c is on ( not a contour )

Thanks
Dave

Does both fans come on when the a/c is running , the only one that is turning when a/c is on is the passenger side fan.
can anyone help me with this

Dave

Does both fans come on when the a/c is running , the only one that is turning when a/c is on is the passenger side fan.

Dave

sounds like a fan issue as both fans are always suppose to run together. ie the run at a low speed and then go to the high speed.

Thanks BrApple
Now I know what I am in need of trying to fix

Dave

Dave

The fans are wired in parallel. They should both operate exactly the same at the same time. One of yours probably has either died or the wiring/connector has failed.

The fans should run continuously in low speed (at least) whenever the A/C is switched on.

Steve

I wanted to find out about if both fans both come on , and i found that out , so I went outside to check the fans and the one on the driver side is very hard to turn so I am guessing that the motor is seized up. I hope that it is no to hard to change it out.

Thanks for all of your help
Dave

its not to hard. you drop the fan assembly out the bottom. may have to pull the radiator also to get space to get the fans out. they are clipped into the radiator at the botom and bolted at the top.

watch out as the bolts can be rusty and you will end up breaking/bending the plasic on the radiator that retains them.

I finally replaced the fans, I dropped the radiator to get it out (not to bad) , now both fans work , they still cut on and off when a/c is on I guess it is suppose to do that . The temp gauge never got beyond N ,and never got the fans to come on besides with a/c , but I think everything is good,

Thanks for everyones input and help!!

Dave

I finally replaced the fans, I dropped the radiator to get it out (not to bad) , now both fans work , they still cut on and off when a/c is on I guess it is suppose to do that . The temp gauge never got beyond N ,and never got the fans to come on besides with a/c , but I think everything is good,

Thanks for everyones input and help!!

Dave

I would still double check all the wiring and controls for the fans. when you turn the ac on they are suppose to come on and stay on.

What would be some culprits to this problem , relays? Im not sure . I am going to poke around to check ,any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks
Dave

Well I jumped the high and low relay sockets, the black (high) came on but the green ( low) did nothing . I replaced my fan assembly (which had the resistor in it) I know it may be the wiring but how can i check?

Dave

I checked the resistor on the old fan ,which was doing the same thing and it did not show an open circuit ,and the one on the car now is new.
also when i jumped the black relay it sparked when I touched the jumper to it ,is that suppose to do that . I checked the resistance and both had 0.0 ohms ,I think I need to change my battery in my multimeter , but here is what I have found so far.

Dave

I know Im bombarding everyone today , just trying to figure this out , I read ,maybe here, I think about on the fan motors there is a piece between the fan motor socket and the actual plug, and I think it is something about it was put there because some of the fans were tight , and I guess like a security measure if they seize up . What they do I dont know,but maybe if that is what it is for and one of my fans have seized up for a while before I noticed it ,could that have caused that middle piece to some how go bad or mess up and maybe causing my problem with the fans cutting on and off. I know the answer ,because that would be too simple but please let me know if that is what the middle piece is for , and if it is, I might try to take it off and try it just plugged into the motor

Thanks
Dave

Back