• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Range sensor removal

radioactiveman

New CEG'er
Hello, Should the range sensor on a 98 2.5 auto just slide off from that middle shaft or is there a guide or anything like that where it has to be taken off at the right degree? also there is a rubber hose that comes off the tranny must be a breathing tube right next to the sensor twards the driver side fender, does that connect to anything or is it just an open end breather or does it need to be conected to some sort of vaccum? im in the process of removing that range sensor now.

All I did was pull the hoses from the intake and got those out of the way. I put the car into N and undid the electrical connection from the sensor, then pulled it up. You might need to put a screwdriver under it and pry it up though.

so far so good, thanks alot for you help! does anyone know what that hose comming off the trans next to the range sensor goes to?? or is it just a breather ment to be free?

I believe its a breather hose, make sure you have all gears in the right spots, if you put the sensor in wrong the gears wont work right :)
Did you get the newest sensor too?

Breather hose, just hangs down low and open to the air. Longer is better to a certain point, I cut mine even with bottom of front cover. You need to adjust the new sensor. I hear one good easy way is to put shifter in reverse position and move switch around till reverse lights in back come on while key is on. Tighten there.

Back