• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

(ReUp) HowTo: Fog Light MOD w/ Remote Entry

Blast47

Veteran CEG'er
First and foremost; I did not create this mod or the original HowTo. I am simply adding photos to it and a bit more detail to make this extremely simple for anyone else who would like to do this. Original HowTo credit to lindston from the Archived HowTo.

This is a pretty sweet easy mod to do. What you do is wire up the fogs to the footwell light, so when you remote unlock the fogs come on for a few seconds. Same thing when you open the doors. Gives a nice glow of light at night when walking up to your car.

Tools:
  • 7mm socket, deep well if available
  • Electrical tape
  • 18 or 20 gauge hookup wire
  • Wire cutters, strippers, etc
  • Soldering Iron/Solder (optional)
  • Splice connectors (optional but helpful)
  • 2 diodes (at least 3A to be safe, at least 12V) RadioShack part # 276-1143 about $1.50 or so for a pair.

First, do the “Foglight MOD (parking light activation)” mod found in the HowTo section.

The foglight relay requires the headlights to be on in order to turn on fogs. This fools it into thinking the headlights are always on.
If your wire colors don't match mine, you will need to do some investigation with the voltmeter. Might be a good idea anyway.

Here's what you do:

To prep the diodes for connecting to the footwell / foglight relay connect a hookup wire to the anode end (the non-silver tipped end) of both diodes. Then crimp a connector to the other end of your hookup wire.
FogLight3.jpg

FogLight6.jpg

(don’t mind my shoddy soldering work)

Should wind up looking something like this:
FogLight2.jpg

After that small part is done, off under the driver’s side footwell to remove the cover panel (mine had four 7mm bolts to remove, yours might or might not have the same amount)
FogLight4.jpg

The red/black wire on the fog relay is held at 12V unless the fogs are switched on, in which case it drops to 0V. The footwell light bulb has an orange wire (always +12) and a black wire (+12 when light off, 0 when light on) the idea is to use the diodes to make a logic OR gate on the red/black wire on the fog relay.

Cut the red/black wire, and attach the anode (the non-silver tipped end) of both diodes to the end of the wire going into the relay.
FogLight9.jpg

FogLight14.jpg

Then attach the cathode of one diode to the other end of the cut red/black wire.
FogLight13.jpg

Attach the cathode of the other diode into the black wire on the footwell light.
FogLight11.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v609/blast47/CEG/FogLightMod/FogLight12.jpg

The diodes allow either wire to turn on the relay, while preventing the footwell light and fog switch from messing with each other. The fogs will still work as before with the fog switch, but will also turn on with the footwell light. Make sure you use electrical tape around all of your solder connections. Make sure you test it out before putting everything back together.

FogLight10.jpg

Back