• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Power Steering Noise

Tracedyahxy

CEG'er
I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but I didn't see anywhere better, so here goes: I've had my E0 CSVT for about a month and a half now and have exhausted my ideas on how to make my power steering system sound better (er, not sound...).

It sounds like the fluid level is low, but I check it fairly often, and it's not. I have plenty of PS boost, even at idle and stationary. However, my car sounds very labored at idle, and to my ear it sounds very much like a power steering issue.

So. Ideas on how to fix it? Is this just how these cars sound at idle and mid corner? I'd really like to think not, but I have no way of proving that there's actually something wrong with my car.

Thanks,
Brian

could be your alternator....when the bearings start to go on the alternator pulley you can get a power steering type whine, or at least I did.

how to make my power steering system sound better (er, not sound...).

It sounds like the fluid level is low, but I check it fairly often, and it's not.

Thanks,
Brian
Hi Brian; if you have tried turning the steering from lock to lock, then you could do what the dealership does ... put a vacuum pump on the fluid resevoir .. this should suck any air bubbles out of the system. You can also buy additives to put in your fluid to quieten the system and bolster the seals. Some say these are 'snake oil' ... i say. try them for yourself and make your own conclusions ...cough cough molyslip cough...G.

I'd say if your power steering is very noisy, it is probably getting worn out.

Do you mean my power steering pump?

Also, I've been looking for one of those pumps the dealer might use (as recommended by ALLDATA) and have gotten nothing but funny looks from every auto parts store attendant I've asked. I'm not suggesting auto parts store employees are the most informed individuals, I just have no idea to look for one.

Thanks,
Brian

I'm not sure if this is the place to put this, but I didn't see anywhere better, so here goes: I've had my E0 CSVT for about a month and a half now and have exhausted my ideas on how to make my power steering system sound better (er, not sound...).

It sounds like the fluid level is low, but I check it fairly often, and it's not. I have plenty of PS boost, even at idle and stationary. However, my car sounds very labored at idle, and to my ear it sounds very much like a power steering issue.
If it sounds like a foghorn, you have the "moose".

Moose sounds like "Foghorn 10"
http://www.sanpedro.com/spcom/foghorn.htm

and
http://www.contour.org/ceg-vb/showthread.php?t=45693&highlight=moose

Last edited:
I have the same noise I think. Though I was low on coolant and added some, and when I started and got it back in the garage it didnt make the noise. I will let you know as I drive it some more of the noise is gone.

Brian; i have had an idea of how you could make a vacuum pump. Get a steering resevoir cap and a brake booster line (the one with the non return valve in it). Connect one end of the booster line to the air intake and the other end to the res. cap. Start the engine and a vacuum should be created above the fluid in the resevoir. The vacuum should be enough to draw out any air bubbles. If all that seems too much .. this ...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Molyslip-Mult...arts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item4835cfe99c. ...is the product i have used in my cars and others' cars with great success. My car has 200K miles and my steering is silent.... good luck ...G.

Back