• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Loose Steering-Worse at +speeds

it feels much better overall with the new front lca's and the bent rear trailing arm replaced. (it was actually twisted) bushings on the lca's were also trash.. thanks aircougar as always :cool:

the tires on my e0's have a lot of tread, and the excessive squealing has stopped...
I'm just hoping the problem stays away after i put some bigger wheels on.. :blackeye:

check out your inner tie rods. do an oclock test and have someone watch the other side and see if it moves with the wheel you are checking. my lca s are shot but i have not had the wandering problem till this year. checked it out this summer and my inner tie rod is the suspect and has been getting worse as the summer goes on. it will be difficult to tell if it is the inner as it will not be loose. it will take some force to make the symptoms appear. you can pick up an inner tie rod from Bill J for $38 something shipped. i have not changed mine yet so i cant give any tips but that sounds exactly like your problem. good luck

I'm having the same problem but it recently went away. I do know that my lca's are shot on both sides though. I'm planning on fixing them when the weather warms up. The steering issue has been scary at times.

I'm having the same problem but it recently went away. I do know that my lca's are shot on both sides though. I'm planning on fixing them when the weather warms up. The steering issue has been scary at times.

have someone turn the steering wheel while you look at the steering rack under the car, if the steering rack moves AT ALL then there is your issue.

i had all the symptoms you've been describing, including that scary tire wear. I've just finished putting on my camber kit and had a 4 wheel alignment...... drives straight and the grip in the corners brings a big grin to my face every time. Worth looking into a camber kit considering the inner tire wear you have. How much are you lowered ? Have you had the camber angle checked ? btw 32psi on 205/55/16s ..G.

I am having a similar problem, but mine does the wandering only when I give it gas and let off. If I give it gas it pulls to the left and when I let off it pulls to the right and it is mostly noticable at interstate speeds and its downright spooky on the interstate in the rain. Much like someone grabbing the steering wheel and turning it. Snipey is this what your car was doing?

Back