• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

Flew pipe flow efficiency?

SJon85

Veteran CEG'er
I have an 02 coug with the flex pipe section(not the flex joint used on the contours and early cougs). I am doing msds headers and y-pipe with 2.5" piping. My question is, does the flex pipe section only flow as much as the stock piping or does it not matter?

My question is, does the flex pipe section only flow as much as the stock piping or does it not matter?

I'm not...really understanding you. I know english is my 2nd language... but...What exactly is your concern here?

Are you talking about the weaved flex pipe?
psm-82-4218_w.jpg

Flex pipe flow efficiency.

Flex pipe flow efficiency.

Yes the stock flex pipe similar to the one you have in that picture. My concern is will it flow as much air as the bigger piping I am putting on?

why wouldnt you replace the flex pipe with a 2.5" piece of flex pipe when you do everything else?

smaller diameter pipe will flow less than larger diameter pipe. Same diameter pipe will flow the same.

why wouldnt you replace the flex pipe with a 2.5" piece of flex pipe when you do everything else?

smaller diameter pipe will flow less than larger diameter pipe. Same diameter pipe will flow the same.

Thats what I was wondering, if the flex pipe is smaller diameter than the 2.5 that I am doing.

I cant remember if it is 2.5" or 2.25"

Are you using the MSDS Y-Pipe? Just get the Trubendz y-pipe. Their catback quality seems to suck, but their y-pipes are good. Then you have new cat and flex pipe anyways. You will save money that route.

seeing as the stock y-pipe has a 2.5" collector, and the flex pipe is the same diameter, im going with stock is 2.5" flex pipe.

seeing as the stock y-pipe has a 2.5" collector, and the flex pipe is the same diameter, im going with stock is 2.5" flex pipe.

You know...i don't know the answer to that question. But the end of the cat pipe before the catback is 2.25. But i wouldn't be surprised the flex pipe is 2.5 inches.

Just order a flex pipe they are around 20 dollars shipped for a SS and call it a day. :shrug:

How about since I have the flex pipe very easily accessible I climb under there maaaaaybee(I'm moving) tomorrow and take some measures and get this cleared up for reference for others.

Back