• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

MTX Shifter Knob Question

Lavell

CEG'er
Hello All,

I have a question. On my '96 Contour's MTX, there is a small knob underneath the shifter knob that is pulled up in order to shift the car in reverse. That small knob has broken off. Is there a replacement part for that? If so, what's the part number? How do you remove the old knob and put on the new one? I appreciate any help. Thanks.

If you pull the boot up and look underneath one of the scews that hold the shifter in place will have a tab on the top of it. You can unscrew the bolt and remove the tab, and put the screw back in. That will bypass the reverse lock-out, and allow to shift into reverse without messing with lifting up on the broken piece. As for a replacement, Im not sure......you could probably pick one up in the classifieds

If you pull the boot up and look underneath one of the scews that hold the shifter in place will have a tab on the top of it. You can unscrew the bolt and remove the tab, and put the screw back in. That will bypass the reverse lock-out, and allow to shift into reverse without messing with lifting up on the broken piece. As for a replacement, Im not sure......you could probably pick one up in the classifieds
not on pre98s.

unscrew the shift knob and set it aside. now, on the front and back of the reverse lockout you will see a little hole. that hole has a pin in it that connects the plastic piece to a cable inside the shifter. you will have to find something small enough to fit in the hole and use a pair of pliers with a socket on the opposite side to remove the pin. once the pin is removed, use a medium sized flat head screwdriver to pry the rubber piece out of the center of the lever (youll know what im talking about when you see it) and slide the lockout collar up and off the shifter.

Thank you all for the info. I just placed the replacement part on order. It should be here in a couple of days. I'll use the info here to replace the knob. Thanks again! ;)

my local yard might have one. I'm going to their 1/2 price day on Saturday. I'll keep a lookout for a '96 MTX. I"ll let you know if I find one. THere is a reverse lockout device in the transmission so if you don't find one you can cut out the pin in your handle.

Back