• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

p0442 code

i had a check engine light when i was driving home yesterday. i had the code read and it said it was a small emission leak so i heard it might be my gas cap which i think it was cause when i loosened it i did hear the pressure released. also i remembered when i last gassed up sunday i smelt a wiff of gas in my car after fueling it. it was strong too. so im looking on getting one from autozone on payday. anyways what fuse i pull out to reset the cel light? thanks

To reset the PCM, and clear the Check Engine Light, pull fuses 4 and 11 in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery.

Para espanol,

quite y reinstálese fusibles cuatro y once en la caja de distribución de energía al lado de la batería

How do like them apples? :)

To reset the PCM, and clear the Check Engine Light, pull fuses 4 and 11 in the Power Distribution Box next to the battery.

Para espanol,

quite y reinstálese fusibles cuatro y once en la caja de distribución de energía al lado de la batería

How do like them apples? :)

lol what are ya doing tony? takin spanish lessons?

lol what are ya doing tony? takin spanish lessons?
LOL. Si Senor. Soy estudio espanol en escuela (con Consuela. La Senorita es hermoso). :laugh:

Para Ingles presione uno.

Yes, Sir. I'm studying Spanish in school (with Consuela. The young lady is beautiful). :laugh:

OK, this has happened to my niece twice now in the last 2 months. Same code (P0442). The manual that came with my code reader says it means "Evaporative Emissions Leak (Small)".

I just cleared it again yesterday, and told her if it comes back for a 3rd time we should try a new gas cap. If that doesn't do it, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA

Make sure that when you close the gas cap that it clicks at least 3 times. if your still getting this code and you are closing the cap fully then i would try a new gas cap.

OK, this has happened to my niece twice now in the last 2 months. Same code (P0442). The manual that came with my code reader says it means "Evaporative Emissions Leak (Small)".

I just cleared it again yesterday, and told her if it comes back for a 3rd time we should try a new gas cap. If that doesn't do it, does anyone have any other suggestions? TIA
Try cleaning the seals first and then try putting a little vaseline on the seals before getting a new gas cap.

Thanks for all the tips...the code hasn't come back yet, but if it does, I'll have a few more tricks to try!

Back