• Welcome to the Contour Enthusiasts Group, the best resource for the Ford Contour and Mercury Mystique.

You can register to join the community.

NOTE: don't always assume....

SVTRacer

Hard-core CEG'er
A few days back, my car started making all this "grinding" noises when driving. so i told dad and he started saying it was the CV joints. So he went ahead and bought new ones and we started replacing things back together. then he decided to rotate the Hub to work around and it didnt move freely as if something was holding it back. then it dawned onto me that the Hub bearings grind when they go bad...

so all in all, dad's mad as hell now cause he bought something that we may have never needed. And to put it all together, he wants to do suspension now while the front end is apart. so guess what!! i get new suspension!!!!!!

onto the pics.

007.jpg

New Driver's side CV:
002-1.jpg

Old:
001-1.jpg

before dad realized it:
003-1.jpg

after he yanked the hub off and left to take it in:
008.jpg

New Passenger Side CV:
009.jpg

the new rear struts:
011.jpg

012.jpg

and one more to show where the Z28 is now....even in the rain!
014.jpg

more to come by tuesday.

hmm, i'll have to look into that. cause the passenger side is band new box and all.

were the ATX and MTX shafts different?

okay, this is the 1st time ive done CVs. so im kinda lost. PM me pics? or would Todras have them?

okay, this is the 1st time ive done CVs. so im kinda lost. PM me pics? or would Todras have them?
you can see the intermediate shaft in the link i posted. unless the bearing is toast on the end, its not necessary to replace it. the passenger CV shaft will be abou the same length as the driver side only it will have a "female" splined end on the inner joint instead of a "male" end. i dont think i have any pictures but ill look.

you can see the intermediate shaft in the link i posted. unless the bearing is toast on the end, its not necessary to replace it. the passenger CV shaft will be abou the same length as the driver side only it will have a "female" splined end on the inner joint instead of a "male" end. i dont think i have any pictures but ill look.

oh, i didnt know your oreg. post had a link, (it looked like a text).

Please tell me you're getting OEM svt struts and springs!! Or atleast BAT or Koni. Have fun riding like a Buick if not.

i've still gotta ask dad what they are. He bought them from NAPA. some like monrose(sp?)

they'll be temp until I(myslef) can get 600 bucks cash and get some BATs, cause dad is TOTALLY AGAINST lowering. and he wont get OEM SVT stuff.

he's been a total a-hole this past week or so. so idk what is up. once im out on my own and bring in a bit more $$, i'll be doing what I want done.

and i'm also living by their rules. im under their roof, gotta abide by their rules. so yeah...

yeah they're not like OEM, i work at napa so i know. I don't have them on my car. but we do also offer KYB struts too.

UPDATE!!!

so dad came home and looked at the CV joints. and he's in agreement with me and the rest of CEG. so yay!!

and for todras..he failed to realized it was an intermediate shaft, so my gearing comment earlier was for other cars..( chevy's per se)

we managed to pull the passenger side hub off and the strut/spring. and we're gonna work on the driver side tomorrow when we can roll the Z out again.

onto the pics!

Driver Side Hub w/ new bearing:
a001.jpg

Passenger Side Hub w/ old bearing:
a002.jpg

old...:
a003.jpg

a005.jpg

and this is just a side Question.... is this normal? or is it supposed to be all one.?

a008.jpg

and dad taking a break from clean up
a010.jpg

Not normal. It seems like almost every Contour I see has a cracked housing though. Doesn't seem to effect anything.

oh okay, whew. at least i know now.

so its like the infamous CEG CEL deal? we know its not safe, but we dont care and we dont like it fixed?

I can't say that a cracked alternator housing CAUSES a failed alternator, but I can say that 90-95% of ALL failed alternators have had a cracked housing..

Like I said.. I can't say that a = b, but I can say that where there is B, there is A..

PIC Update!

THE CORRECT ONE:
b001.jpg

all the parts in mom's van:
b002.jpg

b003.jpg

rears:
b005.jpg

old ish:
b007.jpg

b008.jpg

ONE YEAR LIKE THIS:
b009.jpg

old broken on left, new on right
b010.jpg

b011.jpg

b013.jpg

stupid 10 image rule...

b016.jpg

b018.jpg

Rear end will be started/finished(depending) on wed.

moar pics to come.

Back